- BC Games
New website aimed at hockey families
A new online magazine devoted to all things minor hockey has been launched by two South Surrey residents.
Christie Judson and Rob Rose say One Million Skates is aimed at hockey parents and their kids.
“It’s about celebrating hockey families, the game and, most importantly, helping young players to develop positive memories and great hockey, life and social skills,” said Judson, a frequent contributor to Peace Arch News’ Indulge magazine.
“Our primary readership consists of parents of minor hockey players aged five to 20,” said Rose, who is a former junior and collegiate hockey player.
The free-subscription site went live Oct. 1.
Rose said response has been “very positive” reaching more than 1,000 unique visitors in a matter of weeks.
The stats for the website show an average visit duration of 5.28 minutes, with readers coming from every province in Canada and 24 states in the U.S.
Subscriptions are increasing daily, Rose said.
A recent edition of One Million Skates includes articles about the best scheduling apps, organizers and tips for busy hockey families on the go, along with tips on building a positive team culture from Stanley Cup champion Ryan Walter.
“We’re really happy with the contributors,” Rose told Peace Arch News.
“The number one focus was to get content.”
Other contributors include lifestyle writers, health and fitness experts, a nutrition chef and a sports psychologist.
• The Kitchen: A play on the hockey term “getting in one’s kitchen” (hockey space), this department highlights high-performance nutrition and practical recipe ideas for quick family dinners, on-the-go snacks, seasonal cooking and special occasions.
• The Clock: Practical time management, scheduling and organization tips, as well as health and well-being articles related to the on-the-go lifestyle of busy hockey families.
• Overtime: A regular feature highlighting off-ice activities and memorable “après hockey” leisure pursuits.
• In the Corner: One of the most challenging and dangerous spots on the ice, “In the Corner” takes on controversial subjects and issues.
• Best Skate Forward: Articles, videos, tips, stories and how-tos on improving hockey skills, ascending the hockey ranks, game strategy and education, as well as on equipment purchase, care and maintenance.
• Pro: Information, tips and advice from leading experts.
For more information or to subscribe for free, go to www.onemillionskates.com