Concert tickets going fast
Tickets are moving quickly for the Kent Street Choristers concert on Wednesday, June 1 at 7:30 p.m. at First United Church. Let your spirit soar with Gale Lindenthaler, conductor, and Julie Lee, accompanist. Pick up your tickets now at Kent Street Centre for this fabulous evening out.
• The Kent Street Choristers are looking for new male members for September. Being able to read music is helpful but not a requirement at a simple audition, so long as one can carry a tune. Leave your name and number at the front desk for an audition.
• The Summer Leisure Guide has arrived so take time to check out all the exciting programs and excursions coming up. Don’t be disappointed as many of the day trips fill up quickly. Remember keeping active is part of staying healthy. Pick up your copy of the guide at Kent Street or at any leisure services location plus White Rock Library and city hall.
• Get in the swing. Adult tennis lessons for beginner and intermediate levels start in early June at Centennial Park, as do the popular level 1 and level 2 golf lessons at a local driving range. Register now for these fun and active adult classes. Call 604-541-2199 for details.
• Drop in for fitness at the new Centre for Active Living cardio gym. There are treadmills, rowers, ellipticals, upright and recumbent bikes available. Purchase a fitness pass at any leisure services office and drop in to the Cardio Circuit 50+ Mondays and/or Wednesdays at 6:15 p.m.
A qualified fitness trainer will put you through the paces. If you already have a routine or prefer to go at your own pace, plan your drop in at 7:15 p.m. for Cardio Gym Time. Drop–in time for early birds at 5:45 a.m. is available Monday, Wednesday, Friday if requested in advance. Call 604-541-2199 for details.
• Do you want to feel more confident in leading a physically active life? This summer, register for Balance Class 65+ and gain the body strength you need to improve and maintain your ability to balance and move with ease through daily routines. You will begin with seated exercises and progress gradually through specialized strength training movements. Sessions begin the first week of June, so pre-register today.
• Have you often thought about visiting Vancouver’s Chinatown but never managed to get downtown? Our cook extraordinaire, Pat Faulkner will be leading a culinary tour through the area on June 13 and she will show you some rare and unusual ingredients and products used in Asian cooking.
• The Kent Street Dining Club meets on the last Tuesday of every month for lunch at a local restaurant. Why not join them this month at The Pantry Restaurant on May 31? This informal group is a great social outing and a wonderful opportunity to meet new friends. For the name of this month’s host/hostess please call 604-541-2231.
• Join us in the Kent Street auditorium Wednesday night for social dancing to the sounds of Johnny Hsu. Doors open at 7 p.m. with dancing to live music from 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. Tickets at the door. The last dance will be held on June 29 and will re-commence on Wednesday Sept. 14.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to persons 55 years of age or better. New members welcome. For information on activities, programs and volunteer opportunities, call 604-541-2231 or visit www.city.whiterock.bc.ca