Busy month at Alex House
September is a special time in Crescent Beach.
As the leaves change colour, the sky is that intense blue that presages winter and Alexandra Neighbourhood House is humming with activity.
If you’ve never been to Alex House, it’s a great time to visit our unique and historic buildings and see what we have to offer.
An Alex House membership is encouraged or required for participation in most programs and services.
The annual fee is only $20 for couples or families or $15 for individuals.
If you’re new to the community or have never been a member, why not give it a try? We’d love to meet you.
• The toddler years can be a wonderful time of exciting growth and learning, but they can also be challenging!
Positively Parenting Your Toddler is an interactive program for parents and caregivers of children eight months to three years that addresses many of these challenges.
The course will be held Tuesdays, Oct. 11 to Nov. 15, 6:30-8:30 p.m. $40/6 weeks.
For more information, call 604-538-5060 ext 23.
• Develop your strengths as a parent in More Tools for your Parenting Toolkit, a six-week program for parents and caregivers of children ages five to 12. Topics include understanding the behavior of children, building strong relationships, and providing effective encouragement and communication.
Participants meet Wednesday, Oct. 5 until Nov. 9, 6:30-8 p.m. $40/family.
Call 604-538-5060 ext 22.
• Alex House is starting to involve older adults more in leadership roles, and we will be providing enhanced training and orientation programs to assist us in making the best use of the skills and experience older adults have gained during their lifetime.
We’ll also be encouraging more input from newcomers to the area, to see what Alex House can offer them both as volunteers and volunteer leaders.
As volunteerism usually begins in the home, we’re promoting voluntary action as a family affair, recognizing its importance to community and to one’s own quality of life.
To get involved call Maria at 604-535-0015 ext 232.
• If your kids go to school in the Ocean Park area, Alexandra Children’s Centres can help with before and after school care from 7 a.m to 6 p.m for children from kindergarten to 12 years of age.
Full daycare is available during school closures as well.
• It’s almost time for our famous Community Thanksgiving Dinner.
Join us Monday, Oct. 10, 5:30 p.m. for a traditional turkey dinner with all the trimmings.
Bring your whole family – we even do the dishes. For members: adults $12, children 6-12 $8.
Non-members: adults $15 children 6-12 $10. Children under 6 free.
Please register before Oct. 7 at 604-535-0015, or drop by the office.
• Geocaching is a new and exciting group for boys age eight through 12.
We’ll head outdoors and use a GPS to find hidden treasures, then we’ll build our own cache to hide.
This program is a great introduction to both the wonderful world of geocaching and the local community.
Program will run Oct. 17 and 24, 3:30-5:30 p.m. and Oct. 21 (a pro-D day) all day. Cost is $40. Call Daylene at 604-538-5060 ext 25 for more information and to register.
Donni Klassen is program and communications director at Alexandra Neighbourhood House. For information on programs/services at Camp Alexandra, call 604-535-0015 or go to www.campalex.com