- BC Games
An educational month at Kent Street Activity Centre
• Fraud, Don't be a Victim is first in a series of public safety workshops provided by White Rock Community Policing, co-sponsored by Leisure Services at the White Rock Community Centre. Sign up now for the Jan. 23 session. Hear a short history of fraud and about the types of frauds, who are the victims and who are the fraudsters. Learn who to call and what to do to protect yourself and your property.
There is no fee to attend but you must pre-register by calling 604-541-2199. The presentation starts promptly at 9:30 a.m. in the Gallery. You can also sign up for the Feb. 10 presentation on Personal Safety. Topics include safety at home, on the street and in your vehicle.
• Do you have balance and mobility impairments and are unable to attend other community-based exercise classes? Then Get Up & Go 65+ might be just what the doctor ordered. This program offers an appropriate entry level exercise for seniors with mobility issues designed to improve strength, balance and co-ordination as well as functional ability, independence and quality of life. Subsidies are available from Fraser Health for those who qualify. The next set of classes start Jan. 24 at the White Rock Community Centre. Call 604-541-2199 to register or for more details.
• Back by popular demand! White Rock Leisure Service’s Travel Talks. Join us Feb. 1 for Awesome Australia with George Bell, and Feb. 15 for Boating on the Waterways of Europe. Call 604-541-2199 to reserve your spot.
Are you heading south this year? Brush up on your Spanish by joining our Beginner or Level 2 Spanish classes. Daytime and evening classes available beginning Jan. 23; call for more information or to register, 604-541-2199.
• Our Feb. 11 Musical Circles, Famous Families & Friends day trip still has seats available. Start with dinner out at Kerrisdale’s Cheshire Cheese Inn and continue to Ryerson United Church for a great evening of music with the Vancouver Chamber Choir performing from six famous “musical circles”, including Mozart, the Schumanns and Brahms. The trip leaves at 3:40 p.m. returning to White Rock at 11 p.m. (approx.) Registration includes transportation and admissions; meal not included. Call 604-541-2231 for more information and to register.
• Bridge play anyone? Kent Street has numerous groups in White Rock for all levels of play, from fun bridge to contract, partners and duplicate. For dates, times and location pick up the Kent Street Activity Centre schedule-at-a-glance or see page 38 in the White Rock Winter Leisure Guide.
• Join us Jan. 31 for the first A Healthier YOU series health talk for the year. Learn the best ways to prevent and manage traveller’s tummy. Discover five products you should never leave home without and recommended travel vaccines. Health Talks are free for members ($5 for non-members), but registration is required 604-541-2199.
• Learn basic first aid and CPR techniques for adults and children in our First Aid – CPR A course Jan. 28. This is an excellent course for people of all ages. On successful completion of this one-day course, participants will receive a St. John’s Ambulance CPR-A certificate. Call for more information and to register 604-541-2199.
• Dance to the sounds of Johnny Hsu this Wednesday night at Kent Street! The Kent Street auditorium is open Wednesday evening from 7 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. for all those 50+ who enjoy live music, friendly people and social dancing. Tickets purchased at the door.
The Kent Street Activity Centre located at 1475 Kent St. is open to persons 55 years of age or better. New members are welcome. For more information on activities, programs and volunteer opportunities call the Centre at 604-541-2231 or visit www.whiterockcity.ca