- 2015 Federal Election
Exciting activities at Kent Street Activity Centre
Hot off the press! The February Kent Street Update is available for pick up at Kent Street, the White Rock Community Centre and Centennial Park Leisure Centre. See what exciting activities there are to do in February.
• The next set of available computer lessons is titled Making CD’s of your Favourite Music. Learn how to put all your music onto your computer and then create CD’s of your favourites. These hands-on classes will be held over two Tuesdays starting Feb. 7 at the Kent Street Activity Centre. Register today. You must be a member to participate. Call 604-541-2231 for details.
• Just in time for Valentine’s: Sign up now for the Feb. 6 Rose Topiary workshop. Create an arrangement of roses, ivy and raffia in a modern topiary design – all supplies included. The workshop will be held from 7-9 p.m. at the White Rock Community Centre. Pre-register at 604-541-2199.
• By popular demand, a second Curries of Thailand cooking class will start Tuesday, Feb. 7 at the White Rock Community Centre. Explore the uniqueness of Thai cuisine and learn how to use the ingredients that make Thai food so special. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Join us for a great night of music at the Ryerson United Church Saturday, Feb. 11. Dinner out in Vancouver’s Kerrisdale neighbourhood followed by an evening with the Vancouver Chamber Choir performing music from Mozart, the Schumanns and Brahms. Call 604-541-2231 for more information and to register.
• White Rock Community Policing and Leisure Services are co-sponsoring public safety workshops for seniors. Presentations are at the White Rock Community Centre from 9:30-11 a.m. and are free, but pre-registration is required. Feb. 10 and March 14, the topic will be Personal Safety; Feb. 15, the topic is Fraud, Don’t be a Victim. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Everyone 55+ is welcome at the Kent Street Snooker Club. The snooker room is open during Centre operating hours, Monday to Saturday. You may bring your own pool cue or some are available. If you’ve never been to Kent Street, stop by the reception desk to pick up a guest pass.
• People have used the Alexander Technique for more than 100 years to change postural habits, to alleviate back and shoulder pain, to prevent repetitive strain injuries, to reduce stress and to enhance performance skills. Learn how your mind and body interact to better co-ordinate your movements at an introductory workshop Feb. 11. The four-hour workshop starts at 10 a.m. at the Centre for Active Living. To register, call 604-541-2199.
• Wednesday night is for social dancing at the Kent Street Activity Centre! Doors open at 7 p.m., with dancing from 7:30-10:30 p.m. Tickets at the door. Tonight’s live band is the popular Johnny Hsu.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to persons 55 years of age or better. New members are welcome. For more information on activities, programs and volunteer opportunities call the Centre at 604-541-2231.