- BC Games
Active Adults: Nutrition month and more in March
February has come and gone with the celebration of the “heart” throughout the month.
South Surrey Recreation Centre has been steadily busy with class participation at maximum numbers for both drop in and registered programs. It’s has been a happy month filled with fitness, friendship and wellness.
Now we move into March which is ‘Nutrition Month.’
• Join us on Wednesday, March 28 for our ‘Healthy Starts Breakfast and Snack” event and enjoy free food samples from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. in our upper lobby area.
• Our ‘Enjoy’ Fraser Valley Wine Tour still has seats available also on March 28 leaving from South Surrey at 10:30 a.m.
This is a day of wine tours and tastings at three renowned wineries and a three-course luncheon at the award-winning Bacchus Bistro at the Domaine de Chaberton winery.
Contact the recreation centre at 604-592-6970 with registration number 4274636 and sign up for a first-class day.
• The karaoke bug has caught the 55+ badminton group and they will have their first karaoke lunch event on Tuesday, March 13 filling the halls with their singing and laughter.
They have been practising their singing talent both singularly and together for the past month to prepare for this fun event.
• On Thursday, March 29, the Semiahmoo Peninsula Seniors Planning Table in partnership with the City of Surrey, will be hosting a Volunteer Appreciation Fair.
This fair will recognize local volunteers and provide information on local volunteer opportunities.
The Volunteer Appreciation Fair will take place at the South Surrey Recreation Centre, 14601 20 Ave., in the small gymnasium from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Local non-profit organizations, businesses and service clubs will have an opportunity to discuss their respective opportunities for adults/older adults who are exploring volunteer prospects.
If you are currently a volunteer or would like to become a volunteer, please visit the fair and enjoy this first-time event.
If you are with an organization that would like to participate, please email email@example.com or contact Sources at 604-542-4357.
• Families, gather up your kids' stuff and register for our annual “Kids Stuff Swap Meet” on Saturday, March 31 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
A vendor table is only $20, with additional tables available at a discounted price.
Entrance for shoppers is free, and this is the perfect time for Grammas and Grandpas to shop for their grandchildren.
There will be a Scholastic Book Fair open to the public, starting Thursday, March 29, from noon to 7 p.m.; on Friday, March 30, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and on Saturday during the Swap Meet.
All monies earned from this book fair will be utilized to purchase books for our South Surrey Recreation Centre preschools.
Our 55+ Badminton group will be providing a healthy concession throughout the Swap Meet for everyone.
If you would like to sell some of your beautiful ‘Kids Stuff,’ please call and register with #4273559 at 604-592-6970.
• Our Foot Care clinics take place on a monthly basis towards the end of each month. If you require a followup appointment or would like a first-time appointment, please contact our front office and ask to be placed on the appointment list.
Spring Leisure Guides are now available for pick up at the Recreation Centre or access them on line.
Stay happy through fitness and wellness. See you at the centre.
Terri Focker, a community service assistant for the City of Surrey, writes monthly on seniors activities.