- 2015 Federal Election
SENIORS SCENE: Seniors’ talents to be showcased
Sing, dance and play at Kent Street Showcase.
It’s that time of year again. If you are a frustrated performer, here is your chance to shine on May 27 at the second annual showcase.
If you like to sing, dance, play an instrument, or are part of an amateur group that likes to perform short skits, dance, etc, please call us at the Kent Street Seniors’ Activity Centre at 604-541-2231 and your call will be returned by Shirley Logan who is again, chair of this annual event.
With the able assistance from Joan Lewis and members of the KSAC board, this promises to be an afternoon of great amateur entertainment.
• The Annual Kent Street Plant & Bake Sale is only weeks away, on Saturday, April 28.
We encourage you to come out and support this annual fundraiser being held between 9 a.m. and noon in the Kent Street auditorium.
Perhaps you have outdoor plants, seedlings, herbs or bulbs to donate? Please do so the day before on Friday, April 27 between 4 and 6 p.m.
If you have any questions, please call us at 604-541-2231.
• Kent Street Choristers are “going-a-roving” the middle of April performing two concerts on Vancouver Island – one in Port Alberni and one in Nanaimo.
They will return to White Rock revitalized and ready for their May 23 concert at the First United Church on Semiahmoo Avenue at 7:30 p.m.
Tickets for the “Home Again!” concert can be purchased from any member of the Choristers, and there are a limited number of tickets available at Kent Street Activity Centre.
For further information call 604-541-2231.
• The weather is warming up and it’s a perfect time to garden.
Estelle Bogoch, horticulturist and garden designer, will be teaching three classes.
- Balcony & Patio Gardening – Yes, you can garden in small spaces.
- Garden Design Walk & Talk – The best way to design a garden is to stand in front of an existing one and discuss its pros and cons, and discover the universal design “rules.”
- Gardening with Ornamental Grasses – Learn how to use these “in” plants effectively in your garden. Call today to register, 604-541-2199.
• Whatever it is that they do with the tiles, dice, racks and chips, Mah-Jong must be a lot of fun.
Come check it out for yourself. Call 604-541-2231 to register for six Monday-morning lessons, starting April 16, and learn to play the Chinese version at the Kent Street Activity Centre.
Once lessons are complete, you can apply what you have learned and join the drop in Mah Jong group. This friendly group meets Monday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons at Kent Street.
• Join us in the Kent Street auditorium Wednesday for an evening of social dancing to the sounds of Good Vibrations.
Doors open at 7 p.m., with dancing to live music 7:30-10:30 p.m. Tickets available at the door.
• The community nurses are waiting for you.
Plan to drop into the Kent Street Activity Centre on Monday, April 18, from 10:30-11:15 a.m. to have your free blood pressure checkup. No appointment necessary.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.