SENIORS SCENE: Kick off summer by signing up for day trips
The White Rock Leisure Services Summer Guide is expected soon. Watch for the print copy in your Peace Arch News on May 15.
As of May 10, you can view the diverse number of programs online at webreg.whiterockcity.ca
Registration for members starts on May 14, for non-members May 16. Register online, by phone or at Kent St, Centennial Park or White Rock community centres. There are 25 exciting day trips available, ranging from art festivals to beautiful outdoor excursions. The plethora of opportunities will make your summer memorable.
• Don’t forget to purchase your tickets for the ever popular Kent Street Choristers Home Again Concert.
Enjoy an evening of uplifting, beautiful music May 23 at 7:30 p.m. at the First United Church.
Tickets can be purchased at Kent Street or from any chorister.
Hurry, this event sells out every year.
• Don’t be scared. Be prepared.
Do you have the tools you need to cope with a major disaster in your area? Educate yourself about what is needed to be self sufficient through the Emergency Preparedness Workshop, May 16, 7-8 p.m.
This White Rock Fire and Rescue workshop is free of charge, but pre-registration is required. Call 604-541-2199 today to reserve your spot.
• White Rock Community Policing is conducting a free safety presentation about Fraud on May 23, 9:30-11:30 a.m. at the White Rock Community Centre.
Don’t Be a Victim – learn the common fraud venues, how to identify frauds and what to do to prevent you from becoming a victim. Pre-register by calling 604-541-2199.
• Be sure to catch our fabulous Kent Street Showcase.
Come enjoy musical, dramatic and dance performances. Time is running out to purchase your tickets for only $8 at the Kent Street Activity Centre.
Showcase runs May 27 at 3 p.m.
Please call 604-541-2231 for more details.
• Learn the importance of keeping fit and active as you head into your senior years.
Discover what obstacles you may need to anticipate as you age in our Health Talk: Keeping Fit as You Age workshop.
Learn how to stay fit in a fun and safe way, May 17, 1-2 p.m., Centre for Active Living.
Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Have some treasures to sell?
Fill your trunk with your saleable items, drive to the Kent Street Centre and sell your goods right from your vehicle at Kent Street’s Car Trunk Sale.
Event runs Saturday, May 12 and 19, 8 a.m. till 1 p.m. (weather permitting). The cost for a seller stall is $5 payable the day of.
All browsers welcome.
• We would like to say a big thank you to all of the volunteers that helped out with income-tax preparation this year.
Our volunteers prepared more than 200 income tax returns, giving their precious time and expertise. This is an invaluable service for seniors 65+ on limited income so thanks so much.
For those that were still looking to bring their paperwork in, the deadline has now passed and we are no longer accepting returns.
• Thank you as well to all of the volunteers who helped at the Kent Street Society’s Plant & Bake Sale last Saturday.
It was a huge success and we had a great turnout!
• Good Vibrations will be playing at our Wednesday night dance tomorrow evening from 7:30-10:30 p.m., tickets at the door at 7pm. Refreshments served midway, singles and couples 50+ welcome!
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.