SENIOR SCENE: Steveston cruise set to sail
The Steveston Fishing Village Cruise scheduled for Aug. 22 will be sure to be a beautiful one.
Feel the summer breeze and sun on your face as you take a fully narrated tour aboard a modern catamaran.
This trip begins in New Westminster and travels down the Fraser to Steveston where you will have two hours to explore unique stores and eateries.
The excursion includes the boat tour, a continental breakfast and dessert on the return trip; lunch is not included.
• On Aug. 26, you will have the opportunity to enjoy MacBeth, a powerful play written by one of the world’s most profound writers, Shakespeare. Take in this dramatic performance at Bard on the Beach, with lunch before on W. 4th Avenue in Vancouver. Call 604-541-2231 to register.
• Do you have a lack of confidence when moving about your daily routine?
Do you feel like you need to hold on to furniture as you walk through the house? Come join our Balance Class 65+ and gain the body strength you need to improve and maintain your balance.
We will begin with seated and supported exercises and progress through specialized strength training and balance movements. This is a gradual class working within your abilities.
Classes start Aug. 21. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Do you have Type 2 diabetes? Does diabetes run in your family? Are you interested in prevention?
We are offering an informative, helpful class – Fit with Diabetes – that will teach you how much exercise you need to keep healthy.
Come prepared to participate in this interactive class.
This is a one-session workshop, running in August at the Centre for Active Living. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Come cool off in the White Rock Community Centre gallery while enjoying a film.
There is always a comfortable seat and a cup of tea waiting for you at our scheduled Movie: Tea with the Stars time.
Meet us Aug. 8 at 1:30 p.m.
Call 604-541-2199 to find out what will be playing next!
• Some of our activity groups are continuing over the summer, including snooker. Visit Kent Street’s snooker room Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to play this skillful game and enjoy the camaraderie of friends. A women’s time is scheduled Tuesdays from 9 a.m. to noon, so don’t be shy, ladies – enjoy the tables as well! A White Rock Leisure Services membership is required.
If you are new to the game, come try it out with one of our guest passes which can be picked up at the Kent Street Activity Centre. Call 604-541-2199 for more information.
• Watch for the Fall Leisure Guide to be delivered with the Peace Arch News on Aug. 21.
There will be a diverse selection of interesting courses to register for.
If you would like an early sneak peak it will be available for viewing online at webreg.whiterockcity.ca on Aug. 16.
Registration for members begins Monday, Aug. 20; Aug. 22 for non-members.
Register in person or by phone at the following locations: White Rock Community Centre (604-541-2199); Kent Street Activity Centre (604-541-2231); or Centennial Arena (604-541-2161).
• Kent Street will be closed from July 30 to Aug. 12 for renovations.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.