- BC Games
SENIORS SCENE: Day trips, plays on tap for August
Did you know that the new White Rock Leisure Services Program Guide is available to view online at webreg.whiterockcity.ca as of Thursday, Aug. 16?
The printed program guide will be delivered with the Aug. 21 Peace Arch News.
The Leisure Guide is filled with an exciting array of programs for all ages.
Mark your calendars – early registration for White Rock Leisure Services members is next Monday, and general registration is open the following Wednesday at 8:30 a.m.
You won’t believe all the things you can do!
• A second daytrip to Gibsons has been added.
Join us for a visit to the quaint town on Aug. 23, with highlights that include unique galleries, art studios and Gibson’s famous wharf, before stopping for lunch at Molly’s Reach (the historic diner featured on the TV series, The Beachcombers).
This trip to the beautiful Sunshine Coast has been added due to extreme popularity.
Call to register, 604-541-2199.
• There is still room on the following exciting trips: Steveston Fishing Village Cruise, Aug. 22; and MacBeth at Bard on the Beach, Aug. 26. Call 604-541-2231 to register.
• The Get Up & Go program offers an entry-level exercise program for seniors with balance and mobility impairments who would otherwise be unable to attend a community-based exercise class.
It is a safe exercise program, specially designed to improve strength, balance and co-ordination, as well as functional ability, independence and quality of life.
A first-time registrant’s subsidy is available with a referral from Fraser Health Fall and Injury Prevention.
For referral, call 604-587-7850 loc. 764846 or email email@example.com, then call 604-541-2199 to register for this program (23197), which begins Sept. 19.
• Starting Sept. 5, there will be a trained Come Share Society volunteer available on the first Wednesday of the month, 9:30 a.m. at the Kent Street Activity Centre.
This Senior Connector will bring information about housing options, medical support, government assistance and abuse awareness for seniors, their families and caregivers.
No appointment is necessary.
• You are invited to play at the monthly Cribbage Tournament Friday, Aug. 24 at Kent Street, from 12:45-3:30 p.m. in the auditorium.
The cost is only $3. Please bring a partner.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.