- 2015 Federal Election
SENIORS SCENE: Stay fit at Kent Street Activity Centre
Did you know that regular exercise helps reduce the pain and limitations associated with arthritis and improves quality of life?
In the Joint Works- Arthritis Exercise Program, you will be led in a series of progressive exercises that will improve your mobility and increase muscle, ligament and bone strength.
This 24-session program starts Tuesday, Sept. 18. Call today to register, 604-541-2199.
• Join the mini-coach excursion to King Tut at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle.
This exhibition features more than 100 objects from King Tut’s tomb and ancient sites throughout 2,000 years of ancient Egyptian history.
Trip includes tour, IMAX movie and dinner.
Call today to register for this Sept. 27 day trip, 604-541-2231.
• Women-only Middle Eastern Dance for Seniors builds flexibility, enhances cardiovascular fitness, improves posture and promotes self-esteem in eight gentle-paced, fun-filled sessions.
Call to register in this lively group, 604-541-2199.
• Members-only Computer Lessons include informative courses on Editing Photos, Choosing and Using a Tablet Computer, Understanding Email and Introduction to Computers.
These courses – and more, found on page 39 of the Leisure Guide – are taught by Kent Street Centre volunteer instructors and fill up fast.
White Rock Leisure Membership is a pre-requisite, half- price membership fees are now in effect.
• Osteofit Level 1 can help to reduce the rate of bone loss, strengthen muscles and improve balance thereby reducing the risk of falls and fractures.
Osteofit for Life offers a safe and effective ongoing exercise program designed for those with osteoporosis.
Both programs offer education and information about osteoporosis prevention and treatment.
Call for more details and to register, 604-541-2199.
• Magali Cardoso is back at Kent Street teaching Social Ballroom Dance lessons (partners required) and Circle Dance lessons (for singles) on Monday afternoons starting Sept. 24.
Course descriptions and costs can be found on page 40 in the White Rock Fall Leisure Guide, or call to register 604-541-2199.
• Enjoy the sounds of Good Vibrations live on stage at this week’s Kent Street Wednesday night dance.
Doors open at 7 p.m., with social dancing from 7:30 to 10:30. Refreshments served midway.
Open to all 50+ dancers, both couples and singles are welcome.
• How’s your hearing?
Don’t know? Come find out at our free hearing test. Boardwalk Hearing will be onsite at Kent Street to perform these tests on Wednesday, Sept. 19 at 10:30 a.m.
This service is free and open to all 55 and better.
Call today to set up an appointment time, 604-541-2231.
• Painters alert: Painting in Oils and/or Acrylics, Chinese Brush Painting, Watercolour Painting and Drawing and Colour are all offered starting this month.
Check the Fall Leisure Guide page 19 for class descriptions, call 604-541-2199 to register.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.