SENIORS SCENE: Cooking classes heat up
Celebrate autumn with the comfort of good food by joining the variety of cooking classes we offer.
Our 'Cooking – Pizza Pizza Pizza' course will introduce you to the methods of creating this tasty classic dish. Learn to make sauce and dough, shape crusts from scratch and use a variety of toppings. Bring your taste buds.
Christmas is not far off, so prepare for baking exchanges in our 'Communal Christmas Baking' workshop. Make delectable tasty sweets that will be sure to bring joy to your loved ones. Classes start the second week of November at Kent Street. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Fraser Health offers drop-in flu clinics for seniors 65+ and for those with chronic health conditions: Centennial Park Leisure Centre (14600 North Bluff Rd.) on Thursday, Nov. 1, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., or Thursday, Nov. 15 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Kent Street Centre clinic on Thursday, Nov. 8, from 9 a.m. to noon. Contact Fraser Health at 604-542-4000 for other clinics or to make an appointment at their Vine Street location.
• Tickets are on sale starting Nov. 1 at the Kent Street Centre for the Mistletoe Dinner. The Dec. 6 dinner is a great way to start your holiday season. Door prizes and fantastic entertainment will get you into the Christmas spirit.
• Does diabetes run in your family? Do you have it or looking to prevent it?
If so, join our 'Fit with Diabetes' class and start an exercise regimen that will help you keep active and healthy. Classes start mid-November at the Centre for Active Living. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Our 'Tai Chi Introduction' course is set to begin Nov. 5. Tai chi is practised by many to reduce stress and ease health conditions. Often described as meditation in motion, tai chi promotes serenity through gentle, flowing movements. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Celebrate your family and friends by learning the art of portraiture. Learn how to capture their unique sensibilities in our 'Photography – the Art of the Portrait' class. Explore the theory behind five types of portraits and learn to balance light and shadow in your photos.
There is also a great opportunity to work with your photos digitally at Kent Street in our 'Computer – Editing Photos' class. Learn to eliminate red-eye, create the best composition and correct lighting in this introductory-level class. Call 604-541-2199 to register. Classes start November.
• The Kent Street Dance committee welcomes Steve Lau Wednesday night at the Kent Street Activity Centre. Tickets at the door are $5 for members/$6 for non-members. Singles welcome. Doors open at 7 p.m., with live music playing 7:30-10:30. Light refreshments included.
• Limited space is still available for the 'Lights of Christmas – Warm Beach excursion' on Dec. 12. More than one million Christmas lights will be displayed on 15 acres in Stanwood, Wash. The Lights of Christmas offers five entertainment stages, crafts, carolers, live music, train rides, shopping and more. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Join the Kent Street Computer Club from 12:30-2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 14 to hear RCMP Const. Janelle Shoihet, speak on computer security and computer fraud. Check out the club’s website for more information, www.whiterockseniorscomputerclub.com
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.