- 2015 Federal Election
SENIORS' SCENE: Remembrance Day ceremonies set for cenotaph
Remembrance Day Ceremonies will be held by Royal Canadian Legion Branch 8 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Nov. 11.
The parade starts at Johnston Road and Roper Avenue, and finishes at the First United Church on Buena Vista Avenue, with a 10:30 service. An 11:30 wreath laying follows at White Rock Cenotaph.
Be sure to pay respects for those who have served and continue to serve our country during times of war, conflict and peace.
A wreath will be laid at the cenotaph on behalf of all Kent Street members.
• Please note that all White Rock Leisure Services facilities will be closed Nov. 12, respectfully for Remembrance Day. Offices will re-open Nov. 13, regular operating hours.
• Fraser Health offers drop-in flu clinics for seniors 65+ and for those with chronic health conditions.
Drop in to the Kent Street Centre on Thursday, Nov. 8 from 9 a.m. till noon; or Centennial Park Leisure Centre (14600 North Bluff) on Thursday, Nov. 15 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Contact Fraser Health at 604-542-4000 for other clinics or to make an appointment at their Vine Street location.
• Find hope and inspiration during our Light the Candle Concert presented by the Kent Street Choristers at the First United Church.
Enjoy beautiful melodies and welcome the Christmas season with warmth on Dec. 7 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $15, children under 12 are free.
Tickets are available for purchase from any KSAC choir member; limited tickets at Kent Street Activity Centre as well. Call 604-541-2231 for information.
• If you love a good tune, sign up for the Kent Street Sing Along Group. Join in the classic favorites with friends at Kent Street, Tuesdays, 2-3:30 p.m. Piano accompaniment and song sheets provided.
Call 604-541-2231 to register.
• Our ever-popular Mistletoe Dinner is scheduled for Dec. 6, 4-7 p.m., at Kent Street. Door prizes and fantastic entertainment will get you into the Christmas spirit.
Tickets are available to members ($14) and their guests ($16). Be sure to pick up your tickets early at Kent Street. They sell out quickly.
• If osteoporosis is a concern, empower yourself with knowledge that will keep you aware of optimal health. We offer an Osteoporosis Group Education class that focuses on fracture recovery, fracture prevention and good bone health at the Centre for Active Living on Nov. 14. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.