SENIORS SCENE: Activities at Kent Street ramp up in New Year
Happy New Year!
Get busy this winter at the Kent Street Activity Centre.
No need to stay cooped up at home – come down and meet new friends and learn some new skills.
All activity groups are resuming now that holiday break is ending. Be sure to review your Kent Street Update for start times.
If you are not yet a Kent Street member, drop in to try the centre’s activities three times before purchasing a membership. Just ask for a guest pass at the reception desk.
• If you haven’t picked up the White Rock Winter Leisure Guide yet, look for it in the Peace Arch News delivered earlier this week. There is still time to register. Many classes start mid-January. Why not pursue a new art endeavour or increase your physical activity in a fun and supportive environment?
Please call us if you did not receive your guide or visit www.whiterockcity.ca
• Ladies, if you are looking for a fun way to stay active this winter why not try Middle Eastern Dance?
These gentle-paced, fun-filled classes begin Jan. 14, 10:45-11:45 a.m. at Kent Street.
Expand your dancing repertoire as well with our Belly Dance-Beginner/Intermediate class starting Jan. 14 at 6:30 p.m.
These unique programs will inspire creative expression within you while acting as a great workout.
Call 604-541-2199, space is limited.
• Warm up the winter season with sweet music, played by one and only you.
White Rock Leisure Services is offering a variety of music classes including guitar, ukulele, and mandolin. Learn the basics in these fun, accessible classes beginning mid-January.
Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• If percussion is more your style, learn the rhythmic sounds of African Drumming in our beginner class starting Jan. 17, and practise learned skills in our Drum Circle/Rhythm Friends group that meets Thursdays from 1-2 p.m. at White Rock Community Centre.
Relish the camaraderie of playing music within a group. Call 604-541-2199.
• Mark your calendar for Wednesday, Jan. 16.
Free hearing tests are available at Kent Street courtesy of Boardwalk Hearing, starting at 10:30 a.m.
Call the office to book a time, 604-541-2231.
Cribbage and bid whist are great games to play with friends.
You are invited to join Kent Street’s active players every Thursday at Kent Street from 1-3:30 p.m.
A White Rock Leisure Services membership is required to play. Call 604-541-2231 for more information. n Wednesday-night dances resume Jan. 9 in the Kent Street auditorium.
Doors open at 7 p.m. and Good Vibrations will be on stage 7:30-10:30. Everyone 50+ is welcome.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.