- BC Games
SENIORS SCENE: Many ways to get involved
Are you newly retired and looking to get involved in your community? There are lots of activities at White Rock Leisure Services to participate in.
Sign up to be a bingo treasurer, an activity leader or help with special events. Newcomers are always welcome. Call 604-541-2231 or drop by the Kent Street Activity Centre at 1475 Kent St. to pick up a volunteer application form.
• See if luck is on your side.
Come down to the Kent Street Centre Tuesdays 1-3 p.m. for an afternoon of bingo. Meet new people and win cash prizes. A White Rock Leisure Services membership is required. Call 604-541-2231 for information.
• Dine in the company of friends at the first Fresh and Lively Luncheon of the year, Jan. 11, 12:30-2:30 p.m.
Call Come Share Senior’s Support to make your reservation at 604-531-9400 and enjoy good company, great food and live entertainment.
• Get in shape while having fun and sign up for line dancing starting Jan. 14. Routines are easy to learn and are choreographed to popular country, Latin, and Celtic music; no partner necessary. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Clog dancing is an exciting blend of tap, Irish step and line dance, and is another fun method of keeping in shape.
You may have seen it on America’s Got Talent. Moves are ‘called,’ so the routines are easy to follow and give you a great aerobic workout. Classes begin mid-January. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Enjoy a magical winter experience on Jan. 23 on a Chocolate Fondue Snowshoe walk on Cypress Mountain.
Hot apple cider and a delicious chocolate fondue await you at the end of the walk. Includes snowshoes, guided tour and fondue. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Pie can be a challenging dessert to make, but chef Pat Faulkner will show you the tricks to making an excellent pastry crust and delicious fillings in our Cooking - Hands on Pie class on Jan. 19.
Register today, and bring a ready-to-bake pie home to enjoy. On Jan. 16, discover the hidden wheat in dishes in our Wheat Free Cooking class and make delicious meals from gluten-free ingredients. Quinoa, amaranth and a variety of other beans and grains will enhance your diet. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Stretch it out. Yoga is a great way to improve circulation, maintain balance, strength and inner peace, while keeping you limber.
Learn this popular method of exercising in Yoga for Seniors, or Yoga for Stiff Guys classes geared towards your individual skill level. Classes begin mid-January. Call 604-541-2199.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.