SENIORS SCENE: Spring into fitness regime
Looking for a change in your exercise routine? How about registering for a new Spring Class?
Cardio Workout and Stretch is a program that focuses on low-impact cardio exercises to improve your fitness level and build stamina. Yoga for Seniors teaches you how to keep your muscles limber and strong through stretching and breathing exercises, while maintaining a calm and relaxed state. Keep your hips moving to Latin-inspired music in our fun Zumba Gold classes.
Register for the full program, or drop in at your convenience. Sessions begin at the end of March, early April; call 604-541-2199 for detailed information and to register.
• Celebrate White Rock’s Irish Festival.
Sign up now for Irish drum, whistle or cooking lessons that start next week at the White Rock Community Centre. Pull up an armchair and travel to Ireland on March 14 and 21, or climb aboard the mini bus on March 16 and attend the Celtic Fest in Vancouver.
Pre-registration is required; call 604-541-2199 for more details.
• Did you know that you do not need a partner to play Contract Bridge (Sundays 1-4 p.m. at Kent Street Activity Centre and Tuesdays 1-3:30 p.m. at the WR Community Centre)?
So why not come out and play some hands? White Rock Leisure Services membership required, call 604-541-2231 to join this group.
• Everyone has a life story to tell, what better way to share a rich history than through the written word in the Life Story Writing course? Whether it’s a lifetime autobiography, slice-of-life memoir, a short story or an article for family and friends, relish in those special moments while learning writing and editing skills. Course begins March 19, call 604-541-2199 to register.
• It’s always great to have the freedom to drop into fitness courses at your convenience. Page 28 of the Spring Leisure Guide displays a diverse array of fitness classes to choose from.
We offer programs such as Pilates on the Mat, Power Walking, Keep Fit for 55+, Bootcamp, Cardio Circuit 55+, Total Body Workout and Yoga Flow. Purchase 10 or 20 visits on your personalized pass and enjoy the freedom to attend when it works for you.
Call 604-541-2199 to register, or visit Centennial Arena, Kent Street Activity Centre or White Rock Community Centre and we would be happy to assist you in registering for a pass. Drop-in sessions can also be purchased for the Centre for Active Living’s Open Cardio Gym as well.
• It’s always good to be prepared in case of an emergency.
White Rock Leisure Services is offering two courses which can help you do just that. Learn basic First Aid and CPR techniques for adults and children in our CPR-A course March 23, or sign up for the Lifesaver Course on June 5, aimed at teaching you five of the most often required skills to save a life including CPR, emergency scene management, and how to deal with shock, choking and poisoning. A St. John Ambulance certificate will be given at the end of each course; call 604-541-2199
The Kent Street Activity Centre is open to persons 55 years of age or better. Kent Street offers a number of popular lifestyle, active living, and services to seniors. 2013 memberships are now available. Please call 604-541-2231 or visit webreg.whiterockcity.ca