SENIORS SCENE: Fun excursions planned this summer
We have unique excursions scheduled for the month of June.
On June 19, enjoy a trip to the BC Sports Hall of Fame, followed by a riveting baseball game between the Vancouver Canadians and the Spokane Indians at ‘The Nat.’
• Have you ever seen the Fraser River from a boat? Travel from Mission to Harrison Mills on our Fraser River Safari excursion, June 24. The boat will stop at the Kilby Historic Site for a tasty lunch followed by a tour of the museum.
Sign up today by calling 604-541-2199.
• Enjoy the beauty of White Rock and South Surrey on two wheels, sign up for our Cycling 0-5-0 Club.
Weekly rides allow you to meet others and ride at your own pace. A White Rock Leisure Services membership is required, club registration is free.
Call for information on the meeting location, and to register at 604-541-2199.
Trips run Sundays from 9-11 a.m.
• Feeling creatively inspired these days, but don’t know where to start? How about signing up for one of our art classes? Try your hand at the Acrylic Painting Abstract-Rhythm, Design and Repetition workshop on June 21 – all materials and supplies included.
This class draws inspiration from the repetition found in music that is so affective it can be used in art as well. Create interesting art pieces using this simple concept.
The colours, smells and beauty of summer can be your source of inspiration to join our Painting Summer in Oils and Acrylics class scheduled for June 28.
Feed your soul with either or both of these courses.
• Find new ways to enjoy the ocean in our Kayak Fishing and Sea Kayaking programs starting mid-June.
Learn the fundamentals of kayaking safely; all equipment is provided.
Take advantage of where you live and enjoy the calm waters and marine life.
• If you suffer from chronic back pain, our Back Health class might be just the right thing for you to keep your back healthy and strong.
Learn how to strengthen the muscles that will assist you in achieving and maintaining a happy and healthy back. Course begins June 27 and is taught by a certified exercise specialist at the Centre for Active Living.
Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Yoga for Stiff Guys offers a well-rounded workout while establishing inner peace.
Sign up for the class beginning June 19 and improve your flexibility, circulation, balance and strength.
Yoga has been proven to have many health benefits, no matter what your age or gender, so register today by calling 604-541-2199.
• Kent Street is brimming with opportunities to meet new people and participate in enjoyable new activities.
If you are looking for a gentle sport that will keep you active through the summer, why not come to Kent Street every Wednesday and Friday from 10 a.m. till noon for carpet bowling? Join friends for this game of skill and strategy.
Table Tennis will be continuing as well throughout the summer. Extra play hours are available Mondays 12-6 p.m., Wednesdays 12:30-4:15 p.m. and Saturdays 10:15 a.m. to 1 p.m.
A White Rock Leisure Services annual membership is required.
• Do you take care of your grandkids? Are you heading out on the water or out for a hike? Do you worry about what you would do in a medical emergency?
Empower yourself with knowledge and sign up for our CPR class starting June 27. This course will teach you basic first aid and CPR techniques for adults and children. On successful completion, participants receive a National St. John Ambulance CPR A certificate. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For info, call 604-541-2231.