- BC Games
Harvest Fair at Stewart Farm
Carry on the tradition of Surrey’s first Fall Fair, held in 1888, as you join in harvest celebrations at the Historic Stewart Farm’s Olde Harvest Fair on Sept. 21 from 12-3 p.m. The event is drop-in, admission by donation.
• Tour the Farm’s heritage orchard with fruit tree expert Richard Hallman to learn about historic apples. Master Gardener Roger Phillips shares info on mason bees and rare heritage vegetables and herbs growing in the Farm’s heirloom gardens.
• Dance the day away to the upbeat melodies of the Central Fraser Valley Fiddlers.
• Take part in traditional harvest festival games and activities, including potato sack races, “Scarecrow Relay,” and corn-husking competitions for prizes and bragging rights.
• Try harvest-themed crafts like vegetable stamping, enjoy story time with Leslee from the Ocean Park Library, and have your face painted.
• Watch cider press and butter-making demonstrations, and sample applesauce cooked on the woodburning stove.
• Visit with live heritage-breed chickens from True North Heritage Hatchery, http://truenorthfarm.ca/
• In the spirit of the community harvest, bring a non-perishable food donation for the Surrey Food Bank.
The Historic Stewart Farm is located at 13723 Crescent Rd. in South Surrey. Regular site hours are Tuesday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturdays, 12-4 p.m. Entrance is by donation. For more information, call 604-592-6956, visit www.surrey.ca/heritage or follow on Twitter: @StewartFarm1