- 2015 Federal Election
SENIORS SCENE: It’s time to plan for spring
Time to think spring.
The White Rock Leisure Services Spring Leisure Guide can be viewed online at https://webreg.whiterockcity.ca starting Thursday, Feb. 20.
Members’ registration opens early March 3, and regular registration will open March 5. A copy of the Leisure Guide will also be distributed with the Tuesday, March 4 edition of the Peace Arch News. Be sure to call us at 604-541-2199 registration day, as classes fill up quickly.
• Kent Street Activity Centre invites all cribbage and bid whist players every Thursday from 1-3:30 p.m. in the auditorium.
Feeling lucky? Bring a partner and play in the cribbage tournaments the fourth Friday of each month from 12:45-3:30 p.m. for a chance at cash prizes. You can also try your luck at bingo every Tuesday from 1-3 p.m.
Bring a friend for lunch in the centre’s coffee shop before your games. Newcomers (55+) are welcome to a three-visit guest pass. Call 604-541-2231.
• The next Personal Safety workshop is scheduled for Feb. 27 at the White Rock Community Centre. Co-sponsored with White Rock Community Policing and conducted by an RCMP officer, reduce the chances of becoming a victim at home, on the street, when traveling and in a vehicle.
There is no charge for this 90-minute session, but you must pre-register at 604-541-2199.
• Looking for a fun way to get fit? Why not sign up for Middle Eastern Dance classes at the Kent Street Activity Centre?
These women-only, gentle-paced, fun-filled classes build flexibility, enhance cardiovascular fitness, improve posture and promote self-esteem. Course begins Feb. 24. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Does the mystery of the ocean inspire you? Do you find the diversity of life fascinating? Translate that inspiration into a work of art in the Explore the Art of Deep Sea Creatures painting workshop.
Capture creatures such as the angler, viper, and the bioluminescent flashlight fish. Meet some amazing and fascinating sea life ‘face-to-face’ on your canvas.
Paint and canvas are included; all skill levels are welcome. Starts at 10 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 28 at the White Rock Community Centre. Register early at 604-541-2199 as class size is restricted.
• Sources Community Resources Society – in partnership with the City of White Rock – is hosting the Coldest Night of the Year Walk on Feb. 22 – a two-km, five-km and 10-km winter walk through the streets of White Rock.
Help accomplish Sources goal of raising $25,000. Visit www.coldestnightoftheyear.org/location/whiterock
• If you are new to the area, consider signing up for the next Coffee and Connect Tour in April. This low-cost trip includes a local tour with stops at seniors focused organizations for visits and lunch.
Made possible by the Semiahmoo Seniors Planning Table, which includes White Rock Leisure Services, Sources, Surrey Parks and Rec and many more local organizations. Please call Comfort Keepers at 604-541-8653 for more info about the next bus tour.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For info, call 604-541-2231.