- 2015 Federal Election
SENIORS SCENE: Painting, golfing and more
A fun creative class is the March 28 Chinese Brush Painting workshop.
With all supplies included, this is a great introduction to Chinese watercolour painting. Learn how to paint realistic valleys and ridges and create a landscape painting using crumpled paper technique.
The workshop runs from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the White Rock Community Centre. All skill levels are welcome.
Call 604-541-2199 for details and to register.
• Artwork is now on display at the White Rock Community Centre.
This exhibition features how local artists interpret the world of music and dance with their pallet. The show runs from March 8 to April 17 in the gallery.
• Golf is a game in which you claim the privileges of age and retain the playthings of childhood.
Register now for beginner and intermediate golf lessons to get more out of your game.
Small class size with a PGA pro ensures you will learn the proper setup and swing fundamentals for the short and long game.
Daytime and evening classes are at a local driving range.
• Until April 30, Kent Street has volunteers available to process income tax paperwork for those 65+, who are considered low income.
If you would like assistance filing your return, please bring your paperwork – including a copy of last year’s return – to the front desk, and it will be passed along to the volunteers. If you prefer an in-person appointment, please call 604-541-2231 for a time.
• If you enjoy the game of cribbage, there is a cribbage and bid whist group that meets every Thursday from 1-3:15 p.m. at Kent Street.
There is also a 10-card crib tournament the fourth Friday of every month, with friendly competition and prizes.
• If you are interested in learning how to play bid whist, there is a free workshop for members on April 7 and 14, 1-2 p.m. at Kent Street. This course is for members only.
Call 604-541-2231 to purchase a membership or come down to Kent Street and get your three-visit guest pass to try one, two or three different activity groups available at Kent Street before purchasing membership.
• What are you doing to reduce your risk and improve your driving?
Assess your driving skills and habits. Refresh your knowledge of vehicle safety features and road regulations in the Mature Driving Workshop.
Held on Wednesday, April 16 at the WRCC hite Rock Community Centre, this is a free course, co-sponsored with White Rock Community Policing.
Call to register 604-541-2199.
• Do you enjoy social dancing, but need a little more instruction?
There are a number of ballroom dance lessons this week starting Tuesday and Wednesday – American tango, waltz, rumba, cha cha, salsa, merengue. Call 604-541-2199 to register both you and your partner.
Drop in on Wednesday nights at the Kent Street Activity Centre to practise your newly learned dance moves. Social dance at Kent Street goes 7:30-10:30 p.m. to live music. Tickets at the door (open at 7 p.m.). Refreshments served midway.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For info, call 604-541-2231.