- 2015 Federal Election
SENIORS SCENE: Spring concert at Kent St.
Travel to Vancouver Island on Wednesday, June 18 to visit the charming town of Chemainus, known for their murals. Wander the shopping district, enjoy lunch at a local English pub with final stops at Yellow Point Lodge and a glass studio. Price includes transportation, lunch and tour guide.
Call for more info and to register 604-541-2199.
• Don’t forget to purchase your tickets for Celebrate! – the Kent Street Choristers spring concert.
Enjoy an evening of uplifting, joyous music, May 23 at 7:30 p.m. at First United Church.
Tickets may be purchased at Kent Street or from any choir member.
This event sells out each year, and would make an ideal gift to celebrate May.
• White Rock Community Policing & BCAA are conducting a free Mature Driving Workshop on May 12, 9-11 a.m. at White Rock Community Centre.
Update your knowledge of vehicle safety features and road regulations to reduce your risk and self-assess your skills and habits to improve your driving.
Please pre-register by calling 604-541-2199.
• If your joints are weakened by arthritis, even the simplest activities can expose them to risk of injury.
Learn strategies to protect your joints reduce pain; prevent further joint damage and how to use assistive devices in our Health Talk: Managing Arthritis afternoon – May 13, 1-3 p.m. at the Centre for Active Living.
Call 604-541-2199 to register. Free for Leisure Services members, and non-members pay only $5.
• Interested in acrylic painting? Come and learn how to use colour magic to create visual impact.
Danny Chen will demonstrate a variety of acrylic techniques and methods such as impasto, the use of glazes, and mixed media.
All supplies included; just bring an apron/smock and pack a lunch snack.
Suitable for beginners through to experienced artists wishing to enhance their skills, this one-day workshop is on May 23 from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at White Rock Community Centre.
Call 604-541-2199 for more information and to register.
• We would like to say a big thank you to all of the volunteers that helped out with income tax preparation this year.
Our volunteers prepared more than 250 income- tax returns, giving their precious time and expertise.
This is an invaluable service for seniors 65+ on limited income, so thanks so much!
For those still looking to bring their paperwork in, the deadline has now passed and we can no longer accept returns.
• Thank you, as well, to all of the volunteers and donors who helped with the Kent Street Society’s Plant & Bake Sale.
It was a huge success with a great turnout.
Thanks to the following businesses for generously supporting our local cause: Art Knapp Nursery & Garden Centre, David Hunter Garden Centre, Pan Am Nursery Products, Potters Ocean Park Nursery and West Coast Garden Centre.
All proceeds go to support Kent Street Centre projects.
• G7 will be playing at this week's Wednesday night dance, 7:30-10:30 p.m.
Tickets are at the door at 7 p.m., and refreshments will be served midway. Singles and couples 50+ welcome.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.