- BC Games
SENIORS' SCENE: Leisure guide chock full of options for summer
The White Rock Summer Leisure Guide can be viewed on-line starting Thursday, May 15. Registration opens for members only on May 26; May 28 for non-members. Register online at whiterockcity.ca, by phone (604-541-2199) or at Kent Street Activity Centre, White Rock Community Centre or Centennial Park Leisure Centre. There is everything from arts to Zumba for adults and those 55+. Your visiting grandchildren from near and far will also enjoy active summer camps and creative endeavours. Plan ahead – don’t be disappointed!
• Social media is a remarkable tool for keeping in touch, especially for seniors with long-distance family. The social networks enable us to view videos, read blog posts, share pictures and have conversations with people who we thought we’d never see again. Join Cathy Burrell for a whirlwind tour of the latest social-media platforms. Gain an overview of the Big 3 – Facebook, Twitter and blogging – as well as Pinterest and Instagram. By the end of the workshop you will have a better understanding of the various tools and perhaps your interest will be sparked to learn more. Bring a laptop, tablet or smartphone to class on Wednesday, June 4. Call for more information and to register 604.541.2199.
• Celebrate the warm sunny days and create some Healthy Caribbean Cuisine on May 26 at the White Rock Community Centre. If you enjoy cooking, head over to the Kent Street kitchen and discover how to use food nose-to-toe or stalk-to-root on June 7. In the 100 Mile Diet course, learn how to source local and sustainable food and create simple, delicious meals using whole foods. To sign up, call 604-541-2199.
• Nutrition consultant Sonia Reed from Choices Markets will be at the Horst & Emmy Werner Centre for Active Living at 10:30 a.m. June 5 to discuss how many of the ‘healthy’ convenient foods are not really that healthy and why. Learn what convenience foods are truly healthy in this 1½-hour workshop. All Healthy talks are free for WRLS members and only $5 for non-members. Call 604-541-2199.
• Registration starts Friday for summer Get & Go classes. This is an entry-level exercise program especially for those with balance or mobility impairments. Progressive exercise will improve strength, balance, co-ordination and functional ability. Contact Fraser Health Fall and Injury Prevention at 604-587-7866 for a referral and bursary to attend classes at the White Rock Community Centre that start in June.
• Good Vibrations will be playing at the Kent Street Wednesday night dance tomorrow evening from 7:30-10:30 p.m. Tickets at the door at 7 p.m. Refreshments served midway, singles and couples 50+ welcome.
• All White Rock Leisure Services facilities will be closed on Monday, May 19 for Victoria Day. Regular office hours resume on Tuesday.
The Kent Street Activity Centre located at 1475 Kent Street is open to persons 55 years of age or better. New members are welcome. For more information on activities, programs and volunteer opportunities please call the Centre at 604-541-2231 or visit www.whiterockcity.ca