Update: Surrey YMCA reopens after chemical leak forces evacuation
Spring-break programs were disrupted at the Tong Louie YMCA in Surrey Friday and Saturday, after an afternoon hazardous-materials spill in the parking lot led to the evacuation of the facility.
YMCA communications manager Kelly Walker said there were no injuries sustained from the Friday (March 23) spill of muriatic acid – a highly corrosive hydrogen chloride-based solution used for cleaning pools.
She said the incident occurred when a delivery truck bringing chlorine products to the Panorama Ridge "Y" was stopped in the parking lot and began to leak onto the pavement.
"The leak was confined to the parking lot, but staff took the necessary safety precautions and evacuated the building," Walker said.
Walker was unable to give an estimate of how many people programming were evacuated.
The incident was attended by the Surrey Fire Services hazmat squad. Police cordoned off the area.
The Y re-opened Sunday morning.
The facility has indoor pools, gyms and strength and cardio equipment, as well as meeting rooms.