News

Scalded boy airlifted in South Surrey

A 11-year-old South Surrey boy was airlifted to BC Children's Hospital Thursday after suffering hot-water burns to 25 per cent of his body.

Emergency crews were called to a home in the 2300-block of 138A Street just before 9 a.m. April 19.

Police say the second-degree burns – to his chest and right arm – occurred when the boy's mother, who had been boiling eggs, turned to empty out the water, not knowing her son was behind her.

She immediately put the son in a shower to cool the wounds, and called 911.

He was transported by ambulance to nearby Chantrell Creek Elementary, where a helicopter lifted off with the victim, his mother and paramedics at 9:45 a.m.

School district officials confirmed the boy is not a student at the school.

Emergency crews at the scene said the boy's injuries were not  life-threatening. Police confirmed he was treated and released from hospital later that day.

The incident, police say, is a good reminder to parents to be extra cautious when cooking around children; and for children to be mindful of keeping a safe distance in the kitchen anytime cooking is underway.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.