- BC Games
Sidewalk deferral angers resident
A White Rock man who says city officials promised him that a dangerous stretch of Victoria Avenue would get a sidewalk this year called council on the matter last week, after finding no sign of the project in the city's draft financial document.
Floyd Stanley, a resident of the 14900-block of Victoria, told the politicians at council's April 16 meeting that he has lobbied for a sidewalk between Martin and Vidal streets for three years, in an effort to address what he says is a serious safety issue.
"As soon as I exit my driveway, I'm in traffic," said Stanley, who walks regularly in the area.
"I think it has to be one of the biggest priorities for pedestrian safety in White Rock."
Stanley said he was told last year the project would be included in the 2012 budget. April 16, he demanded to know who made the call to reneg, and what happened to funds that were reportedly put forward by area residents years ago for the work.
Rob Thompson, the city's director of engineering and municipal operations confirmed a contribution from residents of the Victoria Terrace complex remains at the ready, and "will get put toward a sidewalk when it's constructed."
Mayor Wayne Baldwin told Stanley the decision to defer the sidewalk was made because "we had to make budget." The Victoria Terrace funds will be put to use next year, Baldwin said.
The answer did not impress Stanley.
"That's not good enough," he said.
"I was assured last year. I'm upset."