- 2015 Federal Election
Finlay townhouses on hold again
One of two major development projects in White Rock that was given new life – after a split vote stopped it in its tracks – is on hold once again.
Planning director Paul Stanton confirmed last week that new owners of lots on Finlay Street – initially eyed for a 20-unit townhouse project – requested that a public hearing scheduled for Oct. 1 be pulled from the city's agenda.
"Until we get further direction, all we have right now is they didn't want to go ahead with the public hearing and revisiting the final (reading)," Stanton said.
At least two people who turned out for the Monday night public hearing were visibly upset by the last-minute cancellation.
The proposal had been the source of angst for some councillors and area residents in recent months. At a public hearing in July, concerns cited included its density, a lack of green space and the impact on traffic.
On July 23, council voted 3-3 against moving it forward. It was revived last month following a motion by Coun. Larry Robinson, who'd initially opposed the project, after a a report by Stanton that outlined errors found in the proposed bylaw and noted minor revisions that "warrant reconsideration."
Stanton said Tuesday that he is confident the application is not off the table altogether.
"We have no idea where they might be coming from or what they might be looking for at this point in time," he said.