News

White Rock fire a result of 'human failing'

A fire at a home in White Rock was caused by human error, officials have determined. - File photo
A fire at a home in White Rock was caused by human error, officials have determined.
— image credit: File photo

Human error is being blamed for a fire last week at an under-construction house in White Rock.

"It's what we call human failing, and it's ignorance of hazard," deputy fire Chief Bob Schlase said Monday.

The blaze broke out at the Maple Street home around 9:30 a.m. Wednesday (Dec. 12), as framers worked in the basement and a roofer was "torching" a rubber seal.

Schlase said the torch ignited fumes from a product that was being used to prime the wood.

"I don't think they understood how severe the product is for that possibility," Schlase said, noting the primer was about six feet away from where the roofer was working.

The 32-year-old roofer, who jumped to escape the fire, suffered a broken wrist and second-degree burns to 20 per cent of his body.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Fraser Health gets new president
 
Nine seniors flu clinics reinstated
 
B.C. Federation of Labour votes to back transit referendum
Mayhem on Surrey roads on the weekend
 
Flu vaccine less effective against mutant strain
 
UPDATE: Two arrested for smuggling meth chemicals through Aldergrove border
New multi-user trail opens in south Aldergrove
 
Red kettle campaign brings sound of Christmas to Chilliwack
 
Mission Arts Council sets up gallery downtown

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 25 edition online now. Browse the archives.