Peace Arch News

White Rock fire a result of 'human failing'

A fire at a home in White Rock was caused by human error, officials have determined. - File photo
A fire at a home in White Rock was caused by human error, officials have determined.
— image credit: File photo

Human error is being blamed for a fire last week at an under-construction house in White Rock.

"It's what we call human failing, and it's ignorance of hazard," deputy fire Chief Bob Schlase said Monday.

The blaze broke out at the Maple Street home around 9:30 a.m. Wednesday (Dec. 12), as framers worked in the basement and a roofer was "torching" a rubber seal.

Schlase said the torch ignited fumes from a product that was being used to prime the wood.

"I don't think they understood how severe the product is for that possibility," Schlase said, noting the primer was about six feet away from where the roofer was working.

The 32-year-old roofer, who jumped to escape the fire, suffered a broken wrist and second-degree burns to 20 per cent of his body.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

ICBC frauds include fires, faked thefts
 
Retailers demand province abandon separate transit tax
 
More than 30 per cent of Fraser babies not fully vaccinated
Local faces to take stage
 
Fraser Health plans two-month bump in surgeries and scans
 
Furlong seeks to dismiss sexual-abuse lawsuit
Serial bank robber strikes again — in Dawson Creek
 
New Willoughby centre one of only 12 in B.C.
 
Pitt Meadows redefining economic development

Community Events, January 2015

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jan 29 edition online now. Browse the archives.