- BC Games
Police want 40 more Stanley Cup rioters charged
Vancouver Police are seeking charges against another 40 alleged Stanley Cup rioters.
Eight of the new suspects are from Vancouver, five are from Coquitlam, four from Burnaby and three each are from Calgary, Surrey and Langley.
The investigation of other riot suspects continues, said VPD Insp. Laurence Rankin.
"It’s been over 18 months, and we haven’t forgotten our commitment we made to the victims and the residents of our community," he said.
Police have so far recommended more than 1,000 charges against 315 riot suspects, while prosecutors have so far approved charges against 169 of them. Some have already pleaded guilty and been jailed.
New suspects police want charged include a 27-year-old North Vancouver man accused of breaking into a business and trying to flip a marked police car. He tried to hide his face but investigators say they identified him by comparing video clips.
Charges including aggravated assault and assault causing bodily harm are also sought against two Langley men aged 26 and 20 and a 20-year-old Calgary man.
Police say the trio attacked two Good Samaritans who tried to keep rioters from damaging a business. One badly beaten victim suffered a collapsed lung and concussion.
That was just part of what police called their "rampage" through downtown that night "looting businesses, damaging property and assaulting bystanders."
Surrey and Vancouver each account for 58 of the 315 suspects who are either already charged or could be, pending approval by Crown, in connection with the June 15, 2011 riot in downtown Vancouver after the Vancouver Canucks lost Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final to Boston.
Large numbers of accused rioters also came from Burnaby (34), Richmond (22), North Vancouver (20), Vancouver Island (15), Langley (14), Coquitlam (13), Maple Ridge (12) and Delta (11).