Teen denied bail in death of Karim Meskine
The 16-year-old charged with second degree murder in the death of 19-year-old Karim Meskine of Surrey last month has been denied bail.
A New Westminster provincial court judge cited several reasons for detaining the youth. During the hearing on Friday, the accused sat in the prisoners box with his head bowed much of the time. Meskine's family was in attendance, along with supporters.
"We feel safer and better there is one more criminal off the street," said Meskine's mother Julie afterward. "I am relieved right now."
She said it was difficult listening to the ruling.
"You can't talk, you're heart is going to come out of your chest. Just right now there's relief. There's so much work to do."
It has been a difficult few weeks for her since her son was taken off a ventilator and passed away on Dec. 20.
"You have to learn how to cope having to live again. Every memory of my son is being held. It's long and painful. We'll never be OK. You can't possibly be OK."
She said she hopes the youth will be punished to the maximum "so other people don't have to go through the same thing." Meskine died after a vicious assault during an alleged robbery near the 22nd Street SkyTrain station Dec. 17, 2013. After being in a coma for three days, he passed away Dec. 20 in Royal Columbian Hospital.
The next appearance for the accused is Jan. 29 in New Westminster.