Guilty pleas avert high-speed flight trial
One of three men arrested a year ago following a high-speed chase through White Rock and Surrey has pleaded guilty to fleeing police and break-and-enter.
According to prosecutor Rajiv Khangura, Brandon Nathen Teixeira pleaded guilty to the charges last week (June 9) in Surrey Provincial Court.
The charges were among four laid in connection with the incident, which occurred on June 28, 2013.
Early that morning, a grey Jeep Cherokee spotted driving dangerously through residential streets in White Rock and South Surrey was tracked by police helicopter to the area of 62 Avenue and 126 Street.
At that point, police said at the time, three occupants fled on foot. One was apprehended by a dog team after a break-in to a basement suite, a second man was located in green space south of where the vehicle was dumped and a third was caught in a nearby yard.
Last fall, Teixeira was ordered to stand trial on the charges, and the proceedings were set to take place last week, on June 11 and 12.
Khangura said the other two charges – dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and resisting or obstructing a peace officer – will be dealt with during sentencing, set for Sept. 11.