Surrey Eagles’ run continues

Surrey Eagles netminder Conor Barrie slides across the crease during a game against the Victoria Grizzlies late last month. - Garrett James photo
Surrey Eagles netminder Conor Barrie slides across the crease during a game against the Victoria Grizzlies late last month.
— image credit: Garrett James photo

With two more wins and an overtime loss last week, the Surrey Eagles continued to distance themselves from rival teams chasing them for second place in the BC Hockey League’s Coastal Conference.

And if not for a handful of overtime losses – four in the last 10 games – they may have even found themselves perched atop the standings in first place.

“We just haven’t been able to finish games off when it’s four-on-four or three-on-three,” Eagles head coach Matt Erhart said of the team’s overtime troubles. “That’s probably the reason we’re second, not first.”

Nevertheless, the team is still riding a hot streak, picking up at least a point in 16 of the last 17 games. On Wednesday, they whipped the Langley Rivermen 8-2, Friday in Cowichan fell 3-2 in OT to the Capitals and Saturday returned to the win column with a 3-1 road win over the Nanaimo Clippers.

Surrey is five points shy of the first-place Powell River Kings, and two up on the third-place Capitals. But more importantly, their recent run has given them a 13-point cushion between themselves and fifth-place Nanaimo. Four teams from the conference make the playoffs.

“Our first goal is to just make the playoffs, that’s why it’s really important to get points, even if you lose,” Erhart said. “The standings are just so tight.”

On Wednesday, the Eagles were paced by rookie Sean McGovern, who had his first BCHL hat-trick – with all goals coming in the first period. Captain Tyler Morley and defenceman Steve Koshey had two goals apiece, and Brandon Morley added one to round out the scoring.

“That was a really good win,” Erhart said.

Friday, the Eagles clawed back twice from one-goal deficits before eventually falling to Cowichan in extra time.

Michael Stenerson scored the team’s first goal, and Trevor Cameron added a second, which tied the game late in the third period to send it to overtime.

No comeback was needed Saturday in Nanaimo, as the Eagles jumped out to a 2-0 lead on goals from McGovern and Brett Mulcahy, and Alex Hagen added an empty-netter in the third to seal the win.

Andrew Hunt was in net all three games for Surrey.

After playing the majority of their recent games on the road, the Eagles return to the nest this weekend with two games at South Surrey Arena. On Friday, they host Cowichan Valley and Saturday will battle Langley. Both games start at 7 p.m.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Community Events, March 2017

Add an Event