Spring food drive

Local residents are encouraged to pitch in and donate food for this month’s Extra Helping Spring National Food Drive.

Until April 28, people across the country can purchase or bring nutritious, non-perishable food items for drop off at Extra Helping food donation bins in their local Extra Foods and Real Canadian Superstore locations.

Supporters can also make cash donations at the checkout counter.

The campaign’s goal is to raise $1.2 million and 1.2 million pounds of food for local food banks across Canada, including in Surrey.

All of the donated food and 70 per cent of the donated cash goes to local B.C. food banks. The remaining 30 per cent of funds benefits Food Banks British Columbia in support of provincial food bank programs.