Hands Across the Border returns to Peace Arch Park this Sunday.

Hands Across the Border returns to Peace Arch Park this Sunday.

Hands Across the Border returns

Two years after its cancellation due to rising costs, Hands Across the Border is returning to Peace Arch Park.

Hands Across the Border is making a comeback.

Revival of the popular event that historically drew thousands of Scouts and Guides from both sides of the border to Peace Arch Park is set for June 14.

The event was held for 90 years before its cancellation in February 2013 due to a lack of funding.

“Rising costs over the past several years, along with diminished donations, have made the continuation of this event impossible,” Peace Arch Association spokesperson John Liebert said at the time.

Officials with the United States Canada Peace Anniversary Association said last week that they took up the charge after fielding “numerous” emails and phone calls from people wanting the event back.

An online survey held last summer confirmed interest and ideas for a comeback – and improvements –  were alive and well.

Festivities planned include a parade and ribbon cutting to “reopen the portal.”

The 1st Nanaimo Cub Pack, the 1st Clover Valley Pathfinders and Girl Scout Ferndale Troop #52585 were chosen to cut the ribbon.

Volunteers are still needed. For more information on how to get involved, visit www.handsacrosstheborder.info/volunteer.html