Remembrance Day services are planned in White Rock and throughout Surrey:
Join members of the Royal Canadian Legion in remembrance at the White Rock Cenotaph beside City Hall (15322 Buena Vista Ave,) from 10:30-11:30 a.m.
Prior to the ceremony, a parade will leave White Rock Elementary at 9:15 a.m., and a church service will be held at First United Church at 10 a.m.
Following the service, there are refreshments at the Branch 8 Legion, 2290 152 St.
• Crescent Beach Legion Branch 240, 2643 128 St.: Services begin at 10:30 a.m.
Heritage Surrey invites families to take in the Remembrance Day service on Nov. 11 at 10:25 a.m. at the Cloverdale Cenotaph.
The Surrey Museum is also hosting a special presentation about the contribution of Canadian Sikhs in the First World War.
Surrey’s Poet Laureate, Renee Sarojini Saklikar, and Sharanjit Sandhra of the Centre for Indo Canadian Studies are collaborating on this poetic discussion set for 11:30 a.m.
Save your spot for this free lecture at the front desk.
The Surrey Museum and Surrey Archives on either side of the plaza will be open from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., welcoming visitors to experience the day through various activities and refreshments at each venue.
At the Surrey Museum, 17710 56A Ave.:
• Peace-themed crafts for children, and the opportunity to write thank-you postcards for delivery to Lower Mainland veterans and their families
• Music courtesy of the Hazelmere Heritage Fiddlers
• Second World War documentary films in the museum’s theatre
• Watch demonstrations of weaving and spinning in the Textile Studio and see a heritage loom used to rehabilitate veterans
At the Surrey Archives, 17671 56 Ave:
• Wartime photographs, newspapers and photographs from the archives collection
• War Veteran’s Stories – a slide show about war veterans from Surrey
• My Name is Donald Spiegel – a documentary about the Surrey war veteran and collector
• Uniforms from Heritage Surrey’s Human History Collection
• Oral histories from Surrey war veterans
• A small exhibit featuring Surrey war artifacts
• Activities for children
• The Whalley Legion, Branch 229, 13525 106 Ave: The legion pipe band will march in at 10:20 a.m., with formal services at ending after 11 a.m.
• Port Kells Community Hall, 18918 88 Ave. Services begin at 10:30 a.m.