Skip to content

Remember your fire safety this holiday season, says Surrey Fire Service

Be aware of decorative lights, candles, baking as Christmas nears
web1_231214-pan-holiday-fire-safety-surrey_1
The Surrey Fire Service is reminding everyone about the importance of fire safety this holiday season. (Surrey Fire Service photo)

As the holiday season approaches, it’s a good time to think about fire safety.

The Surrey Fire Service (SFS) is reminding everyone about the fire hazards that have the potential to cause home fires during the holiday season as Christmas nears.

A release from the SFS outlines several hazards, and safety tips to help prevent potential blazes.

They include:

Trees/Decorative Lights: Trees and decorative lights can pose a significant fire hazard. Real trees can dry out, making them highly flammable.

Artificial trees, particularly those with built-in wiring, can overheat and cause electrical fires, especially if lights are old and damaged.

Safety Tips:

• Keep trees watered and away from heat sources such as fireplaces and heaters

• Don’t overload outlets or extension cords and inspect lights for damage before use

Candles: Candles can be a fire hazard if left unattended or placed close to flammable objects.

• Keep candles out of reach of children and pets, and never leave them unattended

• Place candles on stable, non-flammable surfaces away from curtains and decorations

READ ALSO: Surrey Fire Service HomeSafe program saving lives, chief says

Cooking and Baking: Preparing holiday meals often includes increased use of stovetops, ovens and kitchen appliances, which can lead to kitchen fires if not carefully managed.

• Never leave cooking unattended, even for a minute! Use timers as reminders to check your dishes when they’re done

• Keep flammable items, like dish towels and oven mitts, away from heat sources

Smoke Alarm Reminder: A working smoke alarm is one of the easiest, most cost-effective ways to protect your family in the event of a house fire.

It increases your chances of surviving a house fire by 74 per cent.

For more information about Surrey’s HomeSafe Inspection programs, visit surrey.ca/HomeSafe

– Peace Arch News staff