The Kent Street Activity Centre is looking for volunteers to drive a 23-passenger mini bus and take seniors on a variety of excursions in the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley.
Drivers will need to have a Class 4 driver’s licence and be available to drive during the daytime. If you have some time to spare, and enjoy meeting new people and checking out some exciting venues, this is a great opportunity. Call 604-541-2199 for more information or drop into the Kent Street Activity Centre to fill out a volunteer application form.
• Are you a card player? Every Thursday afternoon at the Kent Street Activity Centre, cribbage, bid whist and canasta players are invited for an afternoon of fun.
Not a Kent Street Activity Centre member yet? Check us out and try any activity group, including Thursday afternoon cards, three times before purchasing a membership. We look forward to seeing you soon.
• Where is the best place in White Rock to get a delicious home-cooked meal at an amazing, low price? Well, of course it is the Kent Street Coffee Shop.
Drop in for lunch and enjoy a bowl of soup, a sandwich or some delicious baked goods. If you feel like stocking up on some soups and meals, the kitchen has a variety of frozen meals for sale every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
The coffee shop is open 9:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
• The Kent Street Players present Life Like That, a collection of short comedies directed by Rita Humphreys. The performances are Saturday, May 14 and Sunday, May 15 – both at 2 p.m. at the Kent Street Activity Centre. Tickets are only $10. Phone 604-541-2199 to purchase a ticket or buy one in-person at the Kent Street Activity Centre, White Rock Community Centre or the Centennial Park Leisure Centre.
• Summer excursions are returning to White Rock Recreation and Culture and we couldn’t be more excited. The summer recreation guide will be online Thursday, May 19 at whiterockcity.ca/register. Registration for all summer programs, including excursions begins on Tuesday, May 24 at 8:30 a.m.
• Join longtime garden designer, forager and herbalist Teresa Klein to learn the basics for planting and care of an edible planter.
As well, she will introduce you to an array of flowers and plants easily found in both domestic and wild landscapes. Samples of these edible delights will be available for tasting. Call 604-541-2199 to sign up for this workshop on Friday, June 3, 10:30 a.m. to noon at the activity centre.
• Assess your driving skills and update your knowledge of vehicle-safety features and road regulations at a senior driving workshop, co-sponsored by White Rock Community Policing, on Friday, June 3 at the White Rock Community Centre. Call 604-541-2199 to sign up for this free workshop. Pre-registration is required.
• Drop down to the Kent Street Activity Centre on Wednesday nights and dance to the sounds of a variety of live bands. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., with dancing from 7 p.m.– 9:30 p.m. On May 18, performers are Patrizia and Don, and May 25 is Gianni and Fernando.
The Kent Street Activity Centre located at 1475 Kent St. is open to persons 55 years of age or better. New members are welcome. For more information on activities, programs and volunteer opportunities please call the Centre at 604-541-2231.