Some Kent Street Activity Centre groups are taking a break from meeting this month because of the high COVID-19 numbers and the Omicron variant being so transmissible.
Groups that are able to reduce their capacity to 50 per cent, socially distance during the activity and wear masks at all times are continuing to meet with all health and safety protocols in place – this includes carpet bowling, snooker and the Kent Street Players Theatre group.
Please call 604-541-2199 for any questions or updates on other activity groups or recreation programs, or visit www.whiterockcity.ca/covid19. For information on the current provincial-wide restrictions visit www.news.gov.bc.ca
• Mah Jong lessons will be starting up at the Kent Street Activity Centre on Feb. 1. Learn how to play this very popular social activity. This six-week program runs from 10 a.m. until noon. Once you learn to play the game, you can check out Mah Jong drop-in at the White Rock Community Centre, Monday afternoons from 1-3 p.m.
Call 604-541-2199 to register, or for more information.
• The Kent Street Activity Centre Coffee Shop is excited to welcome you back soon. However, the re-opening is currently delayed due to the high COVID-19 numbers. Call 604-541-2199 for updates and watch in upcoming Seniors Scene articles for the new re-opening date.
• Have you decided this will be the year you will become more comfortable using a desktop computer or laptop? Discover how the world of technology can keep you connected with family and friends in this beginner class starting on Wednesday, Feb. 2, from 9:30 a.m.to noon at the White Rock Community Centre. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Are you looking for something fun to do this weekend? Why not pop down to the Landmark Pop-Uptown Gallery, at 15140 North Bluff Rd. and check out a new exhibit called Common Threads – An Exploration in Fine Art and Wearables.
This multimedia show features textures, nature and the human spirit. This current show runs until Jan. 30, Wednesdays to Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sundays, noon to 4 p.m. For more information visit whiterockcity.ca
• Expand your sewing skills to create a one of a kind garment in a new one-day sewing workshop on Saturday, Feb. 26, from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the Kent Street Activity Centre. Learn about the basic details of garment construction, plus pattern and fabric selection, adjusting patterns for fit, inserting zippers and finishing hems.
Please bring a sewing machine in good working order to this class. Participants must be comfortable with their machines and have some previous sewing experience. Call 604-541-2199 to register or online at whiterockcity.ca/register
• Visiting virtually with family and friends through Zoom is here to stay. Feeling comfortable using this app to connect with friends, or attend online classes, is important during these challenging times. A one-session Zoom workshop is planned for Wednesday, Feb. 9, from 10:30 a.m.-noon at the Kent Street Activity Centre. Don’t miss out on this informative workshop. Call 604-541-2199 to sign up now.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. New members are welcome. For more information on activities, programs and volunteer opportunities please call the Centre at 604-541-2231.