Keep the donations of books coming into the Kent Street Activity Centre, as the Kent Street Senior Society works hard to organize for the upcoming book and bake sale on Saturday, Feb. 9, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Hundreds of gently used books in virtually all categories will be sold at very reasonable prices. All proceeds from the sale go to support the Kent Street Activity Centre’s projects and programs for seniors in the community.
The coffee shop will be open from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. to sell a delicious assortment of baked goods as well as soup and sandwiches for book buyers.
• If you enjoy dancing to live music with friends, visit the Kent Street Activity Centre every Wednesday from 7-10 p.m. Tickets are available at the door. This week, the music of Cheek to Cheek will get your toes tapping. Singles and couples 50-plus welcome.
• If you enjoy the game of cribbage, drop down to Kent Street Activity Centre and join the cribbage and bid whist group that meets every Thursday from 1-3:15 p.m. Call 604-541-2231 for more.
Remember that you can try out the centre’s many activity groups three times before purchasing a White Rock Recreation and Culture membership.
• Join in on the fun of preparing and sharing a community meal at A Rocha’s Brooksdale Centre. Become part of the entire process from harvesting organically grown vegetables from the field to adding the finishing touches at the table. All ingredients will be provided along with some fabulous recipes to take home. Only a few spots are left for this fun event on Wednesday, Jan. 23. Cost is only $25, or $20 if you have a White Rock Recreation and Culture membership. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• If you are a low-income senior, and looking for some advice on a legal matter, contact the Kent Street Activity Centre at 604-541-2231 to book a free appointment with Al Benson, a lawyer that volunteers on the first Wednesday of the month.
The next available date is Feb. 6 at 9:30 a.m.
• The Kent Street Activity Centre’s lunch club is meeting at Boston Pizza on Tuesday, Jan. 29 at 11:30 a.m. Call the Centre at 604-541-2231 to find out the name of this month’s host.
The Kent Street Activity Centre located at 1475 Kent St. is open to persons 55 years of age or better. New members welcome. For more info on programs and volunteer opportunities, call 604-541-2231.