The Kent Street Senior Society is asking for donations of books for the upcoming book and bake sale on Saturday Feb. 11, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Kent Street Activity Centre auditorium. Hundreds of gently used books in virtually all categories will be sold at very reasonable prices. All proceeds from the sale go to support the Kent Street Activity Centre’s projects and programs for seniors in the community.
• The Kent Street Choristers are back to singing every Tuesday 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. New members are invited to join the choir in the auditorium where soprano, alto, tenor and bass voices blend to produce a full sound.
Call 604-541-2231 for more information. Pick up a guest pass at the front office and try out this activity group or one of many others at the Centre three times before becoming a Kent Street Activity Centre member. Membership for 2023 is $41 and offers participation in 17 different activity groups, $5 off all excursions and member pricing for Kent Street Activity Centre special events.
• The Fresh and Lively Luncheons are back for 2023. Enjoy delicious food with new friends and fantastic entertainment. The first luncheon is scheduled for Friday, Jan. 20 and transportation is available to help those who are unable to make it to the Kent Street Activity Centre on their own. Call Brella Community Services Society at 604-531-9400 extension 201, to register.
• Bridge game anyone? White Rock Recreation and Culture hosts numerous bridge groups at three recreation centres for all levels of play. For dates, times and locations pick up a Winter Recreation and Culture Guide or go online at whiterockcity.ca/register. Partners Contract Bridge at Centennial Park Leisure Centre is looking for new members to join this friendly group every Friday from 7-9:30 p.m. For more information, call 604-541-2199.
• Winter excursions are back in full swing with an exciting variety of trips planned for the winter months. On Jan. 26, the very popular Tea & Trumpets, an afternoon with the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra, still has a few seats available. On Tuesday, Jan. 31, the 25-passenger mini bus heads to Vancouver where you will enjoy two guided tours of the H.R. Macmillan Space Centre and Planetarium and Museum of Vancouver. On Feb. 8, attend a play at the Stanley Theatre. Forgiveness is based on the acclaimed memoir by Mark Sakamoto, describing his family’s harrowing experiences during the Second World War.
To register for these trips and check out the other excursions available,go to whiterockcity.ca/register or call 604-541-2199.
• The Kent Street Dance Committee welcomes you back from the Christmas break with some social dancing to live music. Singles and couples aged 50-plus are welcome.
Doors open at 6:30 p.m. with dancing from 7 – 9:30 p.m. Jan. 18 the featured band is Don & Patrizia, Jan. 25 is the very popular Greg Hampson. Cost is $7 for members and $9 for non-members.
The Kent Street Activity Centre is located at 1475 Kent Street is open to persons 55 years of age or better. New members are welcome. For more information on activities, programs and volunteer opportunities please call the Centre at 604-541-2231.