The Kent Street Activity Centre’s snooker room is one of the busiest in the centre. We welcome snooker players of all levels to join in on a friendly game or two. The snooker room boasts four tables and is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Wednesday nights 6 to 9 p.m., plus Saturdays from 9 a.m to 1 p.m. Ladies snooker is very popular at the centre and the ladies are always looking for new members to join them for some fun games. Call 604-541-2231 for more information and pick up a guest pass at the front office to try out snooker or one of many other activity groups at the Centre three times before becoming a Kent Street Activity Centre member.
• Just a reminder that the Kent Street Senior Society is looking for donations of gently used books for their Book Sale on Feb. 11, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Kent Street Centre Auditorium. Please drop any donations to the Centre before Feb. 6. Hundreds of gently used books in virtually all categories will be sold at very reasonable prices. All proceeds from the sale go to support the Kent Street Activity Centre’s projects and programs for seniors in the community. For more information, please call 604-541-2231.
• Are you tired of waiting at airport baggage carousels or paying extra fees for luggage? Did the airline lose your bag and you arrived to your destination without it? On Saturday, Feb. 18, have some fun while learning tips and tricks on how to travel with only a carry-on bag for any length of trip. Learn all that you need in this two- hour workshop called Travel Lighter = Travel Easier. Call 604-541-2199 to register or online at whiterockcity.ca/register.
• Winter excursions are filling up quickly but there are some trips that still have some space. On Thursday, Feb. 16, enjoy a tour of the Bill Reid Gallery, Canada’s only public gallery dedicated to contemporary Indigenous Art of the Northwest Coast. Following the guided tour enjoy an amazing dinner at Salmon and Bannock, Vancouver’s only Indigenous-owned and operated restaurant. On Thursday, Feb. 23, enjoy a magical evening snowshoeing on Mount Seymour. The trip includes a guided tour, snowshoe rentals and hot chocolate. To register for these trips, call 604-541-2199 or online at whiterockcity.ca/register.
• Sign up now for a Piano Playing Therapy program at the Kent Street Activity Centre beginning Saturday, Feb. 11. Learn hands-on activities on a keyboard that will help keep your brain active and your body stronger, boost your memory and concentration, reduce anxiety and strengthen your hand muscles, wrist flexibility and reduce arthritis pain. No piano experience is needed. Call 604-541-2199 to register or for more information.
• Spend Wednesday, Feb. 1 at the Kent Street Activity Centre enjoying the tunes of Sweet Water. Tickets at the door are $7 for members and $9 for non-members. Singles or couples 50+ welcome, doors open at 6:30 p.m, with social dancing 7-9:30p.m. On Feb. 8 the featured band is the Silver Stars. Call 604-541-2231 for more information.
The Kent Street Activity Centre located at 1475 Kent St. is open to persons 55 years of age or better. New members are welcome. For more information on activities, programs and volunteer opportunities please call the Centre at 604-541-2231.