Every Friday afternoon from 1-3 p.m., you are welcome to join Kent Street Activity Centre’s Stitch & Chat group and work on your own needlecraft, knitting or quilting project in the company of others.
This is a great opportunity to socialize and share ideas. Call 604-541-2231 for more information. Pick up a guest pass at the front office and try out this activity group or one of many others at the Centre three times before becoming a Kent Street Activity Centre member. Remember, membership is on sale for $35 if purchased before Jan. 31.
• The Kent Street Seniors Society is collecting books for their annual book and bake sale on Saturday, Feb. 8, 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. at the Kent Street Activity Centre. All proceeds from the sale go to support the Kent Street Activity Centre’s projects and programs for seniors in the community. The coffee shop will be open from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. to sell a delicious assortment of baked goods, as well as soup and sandwiches.
• Discover how to calm your mind and cultivate inner peace and happiness in a weekly mindfulness meditation class beginning Wednesday, Jan. 22, 12:30-1:45 p.m. at the White Rock Community Centre. This class includes lessons and practise, and both new and experienced participants are encouraged to attend. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• On Thursdays, 8-9 a.m. at the Kent Street Activity Centre wake up to Sunrise Yoga for both beginners and experienced practitioners alike, with a focus on proper alignment, breath connection and mindfulness. This class will help reduce stress, increase energy, stretch and strengthen the muscles and encourage you to breathe more freely and fully. Call 604-541-2199 to register or drop in with a ZYP pass for this class beginning Jan. 23.
• One in three Canadians has diabetes or prediabetes. Diabetes is a serious condition with serious complications. Join a Medicine Shoppe Pharmacist to learn more about the disease and why everyone should understand what their target blood-sugar number is. After the talk on Monday, Jan. 20, 1:30-2:30 p.m., stay to have your blood sugar checked. Call 604-541-2199 to register. This workshop is held at the Kent Street Activity Centre.
• On Monday, Jan. 27, head to New Westminster with Pat Faulkner for a culinary adventure you will not forget.
Visit Donald’s Market at the Quay, wander unique shops and enjoy lunch at Galloways, known for their unique blend of spices and dried goods. This guided tour includes snacks and lunch. Call 604-541-2199 to sign up now.
• Join the staff and volunteers at A Rocha Heritage Farm for a creative cooking workshop. Only $10, or $5 if you have Kent Street Activity Centre membership. Discover how to harvest fresh ingredients for your meals. Learn how to use seasonal produce, make healthy substitutions and try out new cooking techniques.
On Jan. 29, try your hand at pickling. Transportation is included from the Kent Street Activity Centre. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
This workshop is funded by the Peace Arch Hospital Foundation Healthy Community Grant.
• Drop down to Kent Street Activity Centre tonight for the Wednesday night dance in the auditorium. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and The Alpiners will be on stage from 7-10 p.m. Everyone 50+ is welcome.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.