The Kent Street Activity Centre has community volunteers that will help file your tax returns electronically. If you are over 65 and need assistance with completing your income-tax return, this free service is available for you. Remember you must be a senior on low income with simple forms. If you meet these criteria, please drop off your forms at the Centre’s front desk. Call 604-541-2231 for more.
• Kent Street Activity Centre has two spring excursions that still have a few seats available. On Thursday, April 11, travel to Victoria to tour the Craigdarroch Castle built in the 1890s. Enjoy lunch served in the Parliament Buildings, plus a drive along Victoria’s scenic waterfront and a visit to the Village of Oak Bay. Then on Sunday, April 28, spend an afternoon at Northview Golf and Country club watching demonstrations by world-renowned floral artist Paul Jaras Aifd. A wonderful gourmet lunch and fabulous door prizes will be part of this fun day. Don’t miss out on these two trips. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Are you planning on taking a trip to Europe in the next little while and want to learn some basic Spanish-language conversation and pronunciation? Beginner Spanish lessons are offered on Monday, April 29, 7-8 p.m. at the White Rock Community Centre and on Thursday, April 25, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at the Kent Street Activity Centre. Advanced lessons for those more comfortable with the language are available starting on Monday, April 29, 8-9 p.m. Call 604-541-2199.
• Drop down to the Kent Street Activity Centre any Tuesday at 10 a.m. for a fun game of Scrabble. Pick up a coffee and muffin from the coffee shop upstairs and settle in for a game or two with some new friends.
• Spring is a perfect time for a body cleanse. Toxins in our body can compromise our body functions and may lead to health problems. Find out about the benefits of reflexology and take away some self-help tips for detoxification and a natural cleanse of your body. Join Heike Walker on Wednesday, April 10, 1:30-3 p.m. at the Centre for Active Living. Call 604-541-2199 to pre-register. This workshop is free to Recreation and Culture members and only $8 for non-members.
• Spring is officially here! As the weather gets a little warmer, we will soon be out in the garden. Let the Kent Street Activity Centre assist you in your gardening adventures, with plants from the annual Plant and Bake Sale. Doors open at 9 a.m. on Saturday, April 27, until noon. Any donations of your extra outdoor plants, seedlings, herbs or bulbs would be greatly appreciated and can be dropped off on Friday, April 26 from 4-6 p.m. Call 604-541-2231 for more.
• Drop down to Kent Street Activity Centre tomorrow for the Wednesday night dance in the auditorium. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and Silver Stars will be on stage from 7-10 p.m. Everyone 50+ is welcome. Light refreshments will be served.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.