Start the New Year off with a fresh start; get active and involved at the Kent Street Activity Centre. By purchasing a membership for the year, you have access to more than 17 amazing activity groups, as well as discounts off excursions.
Are you considering becoming a member but not sure what we have to offer? Drop down to the Centre and pick up a visitor’s pass, which entitles you to try out three activity groups before purchasing a membership. Remember, the Kent Street Activity Centre membership is only $35 until Jan. 31. Friendly staff can answer all your questions and show you around the busy Centre. We look forward to meeting you soon. For more information, call 604-541-2231.
• On Friday, Jan. 31, enjoy a guided tour of Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden that includes the stories and traditions of Chinese New Year. Explore the rich history and design that make the garden a unique living museum and cultural heritage site in Vancouver’s historic Chinatown neighbourhood. This trip includes admissions and lunch. Call 604-541- 2199 to register before this very popular excursion fills up.
• Join a Medicine Shoppe Pharmacist for an informative talk and discussion about diabetes and why everyone should know what his or her target blood sugar number is. After the talk, stay to have your blood sugar checked. Call 604-541-2199 to register for this workshop on Monday, Jan. 20, 1:30-2:30 p.m., Kent Street Activity Centre.
• Stop in for an afternoon of fun, small cash prizes and jackpot games at Bingo every Tuesday from 1-3 p.m. at the Kent Street Activity Centre. Come early to pick your lucky cards and have lunch or a snack in our very popular coffee shop, which will re-opens on Monday, Jan. 6. Be sure you have a 2020 Kent Street Activity Centre membership, on sale now.
• Discover how to create poems that engage the senses and imagination, plus how to use life experiences – whether small or grand – as inspiration for your writing. No experience necessary, just the curiosity and an eager writing hand. Register now for this six-week course that begins Thursday, Feb. 6, 7-9 p.m. at the Kent Street Activity Centre.
• Every life is a treasure house of experiences worth telling and sharing. Bring those stories to life with Sylvia Taylor in a level one or advanced writing class at the Kent Street Activity Centre. Level one begins Thursday, Jan. 16, 1-3 p.m. and the advanced class begins Tuesday, Jan. 14, 7-9 p.m. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Start 2020 off by getting healthy and fit at the swimming pool. Register for the gentle joints swim class at the YMCA warm water pool with a movable floor for easy entry. Transportation is provided for this weekly swim program beginning Tuesday, Jan. 7. Drop-in is available, space permitting. Call 604-541-2199 to sign up now.
• The next weekly dance will be on Wednesday, Jan. 8 when the Silver Stars take the stage. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., with social dancing 7-10 p.m. Call 604-541-2231 for more information.
• Happy, joyous New Year wishes from all the staff at the Kent Street Activity Centre.
The Kent Street Activity Centre located at 1475 Kent St. is open to persons 55 years of age or better. New members are welcome. For more information, call 604-541-2231.