Mark Wednesday, March 10 on your calendar – that’s when the White Rock Recreation and Culture spring guide will be online. Check out the variety of programs available to help keep you active, engaged and connected either in online programs or in-person classes with COVID-19 health and safety protocols in place. Visit www.whiterockcity.ca/register
• The Kent Street Activity Centre and the Seniors Come Share Society have teamed up to reach more people with nutritious, low-cost frozen meals through frozen-food delivery. Kent Street kitchen volunteers prepare the meals and Seniors Come Share Society volunteers pick up the meals on Mondays for delivery. The Centre continues to provide on-site frozen food for purchase as well every Monday 9 a.m. till noon. To order a meal for delivery, call 604-531-9400, ext. 207, or email Denisa.Biela@comeshare.ca
• The last year has been a challenging time for the mental health of many seniors. On Thursday, March 18, 1-2:30 p.m., the Seniors Health and Wellness Institute will be presenting a Zoom workshop on the treatment, management and prevention of many mental-health issues. There is no cost, but pre-registration is required. Call 604-541-2199.
• Due to COVID-19, ICBC has changed the way in-person visits and enhanced road assessments are being conducted. White Rock Recreation and Culture is offering a mature driving course that will cover the ICBC changes, as well as provide you with the tools to assess your driving skills and habits and update your knowledge of vehicle safety features and road regulations. The workshop is on Thursday, March 25, from 10 a.m. until noon at the White Rock Community Centre. Cost is only $5 and pre-registration is required. Call 604-541-2199 to secure your spot.
• If you need help with a simple tax situation, volunteers at the Seniors Come Share Society can help you file your taxes. If you are over 55 years of age, and your income is less than $35,000 – or $45,000 for couples – and you live in Surrey/White Rock, call 604-541-9400, ext. 216, to book a phone appointment.
• The Semiahmoo Seniors Planning Table and the City of White Rock are hosting a Zumba Gold for Beginners Zoom event on Tuesday, March 16, 12:30-2:30 p.m. Join Mary Lou Rust for a fun and dynamic Zumba Gold fitness class. Enjoy Latin and international-inspired music and dance steps in easy-to-follow choreography. To register, call 604-541-8653 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The event is brought to you by the Peace Arch Hospital Foundation Healthy Community Grant Program.
• Please don’t forget that if you are in need of some help during the pandemic and not sure who to contact, check out a complete listing of community resources available to seniors on the City of White Rock website, at www.whiterockcity.ca/seniors
The Kent Street Activity Centre located at 1475 Kent St. is open to persons 55 years of age or better. The Centre is currently open to participants in registered programs only. Customer service is by phone, Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. -4:30 p.m., 604-541-2199. For the latest COVID-19 City of White Rock updates visit www.whiterockcity.ca/COVID19