Thank you to everyone who purchased Kent Street Activity Centre frozen meals over the past few months. Many thanks to Cook Laurie Hassell leading an amazing team of senior volunteers in the kitchen and to the Kent Street Seniors Society helping direct people through the facility and making sure all the COVID health and safety protocols were in place. We are extremely grateful for the energy and commitment they gave to ensuring that the needs of the seniors in this community were met by offering nutritious, delicious, low-cost frozen meals. The volunteers will now take a well-deserved break over the summer and will return to sell frozen meals on Monday, Sept. 20.
• Yoga for Seniors starts Monday, July 5 in Maccaud Park beside the Kent Street Activity Centre. Join Melanie Henderson for gentle stretching, proper breathing techniques and a deep relaxation that will allow your body and mind to come alive with renewed energy.
Call 604-541-2199 to register for this seven-week program or online at www.whiterockcity.ca/register
• Another way to discover the joy of yoga is incorporating a chair and standing postures, breathing techniques and guided meditation. Chair Yoga with Lynne Edel begins outside at the Kent Street Activity Centre on Wednesday, July 7, 11 a.m. till noon. This is a safe and gentle program designed for older adults with mobility issues or other physical challenges. No floor work is practised in this class. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Be sure to sign up for the next free Zoom Zumba Gold class on Thursday, June 29, 1-2:30 p.m. Join Zumba instructor Mary Lou Rust for an enjoyable afternoon learning easy-to-follow choreography to Latin and international-inspired music from the comfort of your own home. The Semiahmoo Seniors Planning Table and the City of White Rock are continuing to host free Zoom Zumba Gold workshops over the next few months. This a perfect, safe and fun exercise class for older adults. Register now for this popular event by calling 604-531-9400, ext. 219, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• If you are looking for more than just a one-time Zumba gold class be sure to sign up for one of Mary Lou’s eight-week long programs starting next Wednesday, July 7 or Friday, July 9. Both programs run 9-10 a.m. in the ball-diamond parking lot at Centennial Park. Call 604-541-2199 to register or online at www.whiterockcity.ca/register
• Fit Camp 55+ is a perfect outdoor class for fit older adults. Build stamina and endurance in this interval-training course beginning Thursday, July 8, 9-10 a.m. at the oval in Centennial Park. Call 605-541-2199 to register.
• Together-South Surrey/White Rock is a local, non-profit support group committed to supporting mental wellness in the White Rock/South Surrey Community. Its goal is to help seniors by connecting them to local mental-health resources, offering free short-term COVID therapy and quality mental-health information. Contact their resource line at 604-531-0361 or online at www.together-sswr.com
Kent Street Activity Centre, at 1475 Kent St. is open to persons 55 years of age or better. It is currently open to participants in registered programs only. Customer service is by phone, Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. 604-541-2199. For the latest COVID-19 City of White Rock updates visit www.whiterockcity.ca/COVID19