Did you know that the Kent Street Activity Centre Coffee Shop sells 10 varieties of homemade jam? The jam is made from spray-free fruit, has one–hird less sugar than regular jams and twice as much fruit. Drop in on Mondays between 9 a.m. and noon and check out the delicious jams and wide variety of frozen meals and soups. Remember, cash only, please and wear a mask.
• A variety of yoga classes have started up this week and are following COVID health-and-safety protocols. Yoga for Stiff Guys, Restorative Yoga and Yoga for Seniors all have some space still available. Check out whiterockcity.ca/register or call 604-541-2199 to sign up for your favourite yoga class.
• Walk and Talk 55+ is a new walking program that gives you an opportunity to connect with others during a weekly walk through the quiet neighbourhoods and urban trails in White Rock. Meet at the Kent Street Activity Centre and spend one hour exploring our beautiful city and enjoying the company of others as you walk at a leisurely pace. This six-week program begins on Feb. 10, 1:30-2:30 p.m. To register, call 604-541-2199 or online at whiterockcity.ca/register
• Our very popular Turning Memories into Memoirs writing program with Sylvia Taylor has changed from an in-person class to Zoom. This four-session program beginning Feb. 2, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. is perfect for anyone interested in learning how to write engaging stories from your own life in a supportive, friendly and fun atmosphere. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• The Seniors Health and Wellness Institute will be presenting three workshops with White Rock Recreation and Culture through Zoom. All workshops are free and 1.5 hours long. The first presentation is on stress, how to identify excessive stress that may be harmful, as well as develop coping strategies. Call 604-541-2199 to register for this workshop on Friday, Jan. 29, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
• Please remember, if you are in need of some help during the pandemic and not sure who to contact, check out a complete listing of community resources available to seniors on the City of White Rock website at www.whiterockcity.ca/seniors
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to persons 55 years of age or better. The Centre is currently open to participants in registered programs only. Customer service is by phone, Monday-Friday 8:30a.m. -4:30p.m. 604-541-2199. For the latest COVID-19 City of White Rock updates visit www.whiterockcity.ca/COVID19