The Kent Street Senior Society is counting down the days until they hold their annual Book and Bake Sale fundraiser on Feb. 8 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Kent Street Auditorium.
Hundreds of gently used books in virtually all categories will be sold at great prices. Come early and pick up some fabulous books and delicious baking at great prices. All proceeds from the sale go to support the Kent Street Activity Centre’s projects and programs for seniors in the community.
• Zumba Gold is an exciting and effective fitness workout and is perfect for active older adults. This class recreates the original Zumba moves at a lower-intensity, with Latin and international-inspired music and dance steps. Easy-to-follow choreography focuses on balance, range of motion and co-ordination. Classes begin on Jan. 27, 3:30-4:30 p.m. at the Kent Street Activity Centre, and Friday, Jan. 31, 9:45-10:45 a.m. at the White Rock Community Centre. Call 604-541-2199 to register. Drop-in is available with a Zumba drop-in pass.
• Learn how to protect yourself from payment card, telephone and email frauds at a Fraud Awareness Workshop. Reduce the chance of becoming a victim at this Feb. 22 workshop co-sponsored with White Rock Community Policing and the RCMP. Call 604-541-2199 to register. Cost is only $5.
• Bridge game anyone? White Rock Recreation and Culture hosts numerous bridge groups at three recreation centres for all levels of play.
For dates, times and locations pick up a Winter Recreation and Culture Guide or call 604-541-2199 for more information. Try out a bridge group three times free with a guest pass before purchasing a Kent Street Activity Centre membership. Remember, the cost of membership is reduced to $35 until Jan. 31.
• Piano-playing therapy for the mind and body will teach you hands-on activities on a keyboard that will help keep your brain active and your body stronger. Boost your memory and concentration, reduce anxiety, strengthen your hand muscles, increase wrist flexibility and reduce arthritis pain. Receive an additional benefit of learning to play the piano and sight-read music. Absolutely no piano experience is needed. The six-session program begins Saturday, Feb. 22 at Kent Street Activity Centre. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• Assess your driving skills and habits and update your knowledge of vehicle safety features and road regulations at a Seniors Driving Workshop on Thursday, Jan. 30. Co-sponsored with White Rock Community Policing. Call 604-541-2199 to register. Cost is only $5.
• There are still a few spots available in an iPad/iPhone photography workshop at Kent Street Activity Centre on Tuesday, Jan. 28.
Learn many tricks and techniques to help you take great photos and videos on your device. Call 604-541-2199 to register.
• If you enjoy dancing to live music with friends, visit the Kent Street Activity Centre every Wednesday from 7-10 p.m. Tickets are available at the door. This week, the sounds of Music Variations will get you up on the dance floor. Singles and couples 50-plus welcome.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or better. For information, call 604-541-2231.