Take the grandchildren skating at Centennial Arena for a Holiday Break family skate. On Dec. 31, the theme is Countdown to 2012 and on Jan. 1, there is a New Year’s Skate.
The time is 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. each day and admission is only $2.75. For more information call the Skating Infoline at 604-541-2171.
• Dance, swim or walk your way to a fit new you in 2012.
Join the Gentle Joints swim program or the social swim. Each Tuesday, we travel by mini-bus to the Tong Louie YMCA pool for a fitness program which includes stretches and aquatic exercises. Call the centre today to register 604-541-2231.
• Walking Qi Gong (chee gung) includes a basic meditative walking style, special breathing techniques, and easy-to-learn arm and hand movements. Simple variations add to the therapeutic effect and improve the flow of Qi (energy). This program will be starting on Jan. 16, call 604-541-2199 for more information and to register.
• Join instructor Magali Cardoso for 10 sessions of Social Ballroom Dance featuring a little bit of rumba, mambo, salsa, cha cha, waltz, foxtrot and tango. This fun program starts Jan. 23 at the Kent Street Activity Centre. To register or for more information, call 604-541-2199.
• Are you going on a holiday this winter? On Jan. 31, a Pharmasave Reach-Out nutritionist will provide information on recommended travel vaccines, ways to prevent and manage traveller health issues and the five products you should never leave home without. This session will be held at the Centre for Active Living, next to Centennial Arena. For more information, call 604-541-2199.
• Are you in need of some legal advice? On Jan. 4 at 9:30 a.m., local lawyer Al Benson, will be at Kent Street to answer any legal queries or problems you may have. Appointments are on a first-come, first-served basis. This free service is for those 55+ on low income. To book an appointment, call 604-541-2231.
• Fresh and Lively is back in the New Year, with friends, food and fantastic entertainment. Transportation is available to help those who are unable to make it to the Kent Street Activity Centre on their own. Call Senior Support Services at 604-531-9400 to register.
• The Kent Street Centre will be closed Dec. 31 and Jan. 2.
The centre opens at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 3. Drop by the front desk and update your membership card for 2012.
The Kent Street Activity Centre, located at 1475 Kent St., is open to people 55 years of age or older. For information, call 604-541-2231.