Please note that Kent Street is closed for cleaning and maintenance this week and will re-open July 2 at 8:30 a.m. There are lots of drop-in activities at the White Rock Community Centre and Centre for Active Living.
At the WRCC, drop in for a round of mahjong Mondays at 2 p.m., or social bridge Mondays at 3 p.m. and Tuesdays and Fridays at 1 p.m. There are also keep fit, yoga and pilates available through the week.
The Centre for Active Living now has drop in times for the Cardio Gym Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 4:30-9 p.m. (Wednesday 6-9 p.m.); pickleball and badminton nets are set up on the curling centre dryfloor. Call 604-541-2199 for court times. Simply pre-purchase your drop in at any Leisure Services location.
• Happy Birthday Canada. Celebrate Canada Day by the Bay at White Rock Beach on July 1.
Dynamic performances by Marilyn Monroe and Elvis on the main stage, alluring artisan booths along White Rock’s world famous promenade and an energetic children’s sandcastle building event at East Beach are the main festivities held throughout the day. The grand finale is a marvelous fireworks display over Semiahmoo Bay at dusk.
Activities start at 10:00 a.m. so come early and play all day!
• We are now offering laptop computer instruction for beginner and advanced users. Sign up for our Summer Laptop Computer Camp that starts July 15 at 9:30 a.m. from Monday to Friday and learn the basics of your laptop computer. Topics include understanding email, exploring cloud computing, picture editing/sharing and more. Laptop and basic keyboarding skills are required.
At 1 p.m. on the same dates we will hold a more advanced series of classes aimed at refining and expanding what users already know. Held in the cool, comfortable gallery at White Rock Community Centre, this class will bring great new learning opportunities while giving you a chance to beat the heat! Call 604-541-2199 to register, space is limited.
• Build up your strength and fitness with a fun energetic workout. Sign up for Zumba Gold Toning – a sassy method of exercising fusing dance and easy-to-follow body-sculpting techniques with Latin rhythms to form a lively workout.
Build muscle strength and increase bone density, while improving posture and balance, call 604-541-2199 to register. Class starts July 8 at WRCC.
• Calm your busy mind, sign up for one of our mindfulness classes and learn how to reduce stress, while living your life in the present moment.
Whether you are interested in our Mindful Walking or Mindful Retreat program, relaxation will become an easier concept to grasp, and you will learn how to manage stress. Classes begin July 8 and 13 call 604-541-2199 to register.
• If you would like to assess your hearing, Kent Street will be holding a Hearing Testing Clinic on Wednesday, July 17. Appointments are available between 10:30 and 11:30 a.m., call 604-541-2231 to book.
The Kent Street Activity Centre located at 1475 Kent Street is open to persons 55 years of age or better. New members are welcome. For more information on activities, programs and volunteer opportunities please call the Centre at 604-541-2231 or visit www.city.whiterock.bc.ca.